Any Envirofire techs out there? Need some help on an Empress Insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulslush

Aug 11, 2007
I am working on an Empress insert and it shuts down after it goes out of start up mode when run on one or two. The auger lite flashes but the auger motor does not run then it will burn out. I did verify it is due to the vacuum switch opening, I jump the switch and it will stay running. OK so I thought this will be easy but I tested the switch and it seemed to work fine. Usually I work on St.Croix stoves and I am more familiar with them. I did clean this stove thoroughly about two weeks ago and it made no difference. I also checked the exhaust and brushed the liner, approx 20 ft 3" to the top. The thing that bothered me from the beginning is I thought that the stove seemed lazy, just seemed like not a lot of air flow but its a friend of mine and he said it always burned that way. Today I put a MAG gauge on it and have very low vacuum readings .02" at the sensor hose, the spec is .09-1.3 Checked the hose and fitting both clear so I referred to the service manual and all the voltages are low at the exhaust blower. I should have 76V on #1 and I have 55V however this would be with 115V line and I only have 106V line voltage. The manual says to replace the board but my friend had replaced that already and it did not help I don't see any air leaks and doors close tight. I just does not seem to have good exhaust flow, the combustion fan runs and the motor seems ok, it runs smooth and quiet. Maybe too quiet it seems so slow but I am not sure what is normal here. Any input would be appreciated I hate replacing parts unless I am sure. Thanks

Try what Erwin said.

Then you'd need to test the motor.

Unplug the stove. Use a test lead to run blower all by itself.(I use an old extension cord with stack ons to hook to the motor) Check the mag reading. Check the amp draw. Check the voltage drop!

If the mag reading is low replace the blower!
If amps are to high replace the blower!
If voltage is still low replace the motor!

If blower seems OK then there maybe something else pulling down your voltage. Most likely another motor. If all motors check then you may have gotten a bad board!

Hope this helps.
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.