Any experiences with Hazelnut/Filbert shells in a pellet stove????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flinchy

Sep 2, 2007
I have a Whitman advantage 2 pellet stove.
My girlfriend and I went to the state fair to look @ new stoves on a 96 deg day hoping to get a deal on a new insert. One thing I noticed other then the $3800 price tags :eek: was they were all burning filbert shells full out. The sales guys were busy selling and it was just too darn hot to stick around to ask questions.
My question is what would be diferent from these new machines then old?
Is it just a matter of tweaking the feed rate and air mix?
We have an abundance of crushed shells here in The Willamette Valley, with processing plants willing to give them away. Seems like too good of a resourse to just balk at.
Any thoughs or experiences?
thanks,
Joe

Greetings. Don't know about using hazelnut shells - but sounds lke a great idea to me. Of course, I may be biased as we have a few acres of the trees. would love to find a "niche" market for the shells. Good luck

There are a number of stoves that will work with filbert shells. The Harman is a good choice although expensive. I am located in the Salem area and I am looking for a processor that will give or sell the shells to me. Do you have any contacts?

30 some years ago, when the surrounding area was oriented toward nuts(the kind that grow on trees ;-P ) instead of todays wine culture, I shoveled crushed hazelnut shells at the local processor to use for landscape mulch. We have a processing plant close by and I'll try to find out what they do with their shells. Still like the idea of using them in a pellet stove - even though I have about 14 cord of wood in the shed. Keep us posted as Salem is about 30 miles from here(Newberg/Dundee)

Status
Not open for further replies.