Any GM mechanics out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ww&hk

Jun 16, 2009
Central CT
I just put a new battery in my 2007 GMC Yukon. Seemed simple enough. Now the clock on the radio display is gone. The semicolon appears but no numerals. It is the touchscreen model with Navigation. Any suggestions before I schedule an appointment with the dealer? I hate going to the dealer.

try unhooking the negative cable for 30 min?Seems to fix some stuff.Just a guess. I have a '07 chevy pu and once a month the clock resets to 12:00 but the presets stay put :roll:

By chance, did you try setting the time again? Or won't the display accept any input for the time?

my guess is that it is a theftlock,you will have to go to dealer and have it unlocked. some will say locked on the screen but not sure with navigation radio,good luck

Don't know if it works on GM's or not, but I've seen setups that allow you to put a 9v transistor battery across the battery terminals if you are disconnecting the main battery - supposedly this gives enough juice to keep the electronic stuff happy until you get reconnected...

Gooserider

hope the anti-theft on the radio is the worst, some GM cars loose engine programing when no battery power to the computer, only the dealer $$$ can reprogram.

What? With this much advancement in technology we have made us again more useless. These units don't perpetual E-Prom or something to that effect to store the latest required data? Good luck with that basic battery change. :blank:

Theft lock on the radio. Need the code to unlock it. Should be a white sticker in your owners manual, or get one using vin code. most dealers charge for it. and yes, vehicle has adaptive learning, so as it gets used to your certian style of driving it modifies itself, but that all goes bye-bye when battery is disconnected too long. but it re-learns fairly quickly. By the way, had any problems with the ignition switch yet?

Thanks guys. I guess I'll call the dealer.

Edit: Called the dealer this morning, they said to bring it by anytime and they will reprogram while I wait. On my way across town, the clock reappeared on the display panel and everything seems to be fine. I guess it just needed a little time to reset itself. Thanks for the suggestions.

another GM quirk, not sure how many models it applies to, the car radio and computer are in the same box, if you go aftermarket radio you need to keep the factory radio and connect it in with a new harness so the car will run.
There are some (cadillac) GM cars that loose more than the learned engine parameters, they don't even have a basic run or limp mode if the power is killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.