Any guess-timates on how many cords in this pile??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly there are 18 cords behind that pile.....do you see 18 cords? I don't see them......not sayin they are not there....i just don't see em.....i don't care what measurements are given for the pile............

Supposedly there are 18 cords behind that pile.....do you see 18 cords? I don't see them......not sayin they are not there....i just don't see em.....i don't care what measurements are given for the pile............

there isn't 18 cord behind, there's 17.3. :p

well, considering you think that pile is 3-4 cord, I can see why you don't see 17 behind it.

Like I said though, it's very hard to judge photos and that's why measurements were given. If ya want to argue against the tape measure, well, then, you may just have a little bit of estrogen in ya! lol :p

Last edited:
Reactions: claydogg84

You don't care about measurements? You sound like a reasonable, intelligent person. Please continue to share your wisdom.

Back on track, JR, what the hell are you going to do with all this wood? It's going to take years to burn through it.

I got it all split and stacked and just got back in from measuring. The grand total is 16 cords. Everything you see in the photo below, with exception to the very first row on the left, is from the pile pictured in the first post. The rows are stacked 5.5' high (excluding pallet thickness) and they average 20" wide with a total 224 linear feet. There is a total 17.3 cords in the photo. I have them covered with EPDM rubber roofing.

View attachment 158062

There are 35.5 cords stacked below (not including that little stack of small stuff). Kind of crazy to think there was NOTHING stacked here up until around April of '14 when I started. I'm now pushing 50 cords in total including what I have stacked elsewhere.

View attachment 158063

I realize where I have the wood stacked is not the best, but it's all I have to work with. We don't have any wide open areas with direct wind/sun exposure. The most wide open area we have is our asphalt driveway, which is really not that open and I'm not stacking wood on it anyway...lol
Just found this thread and that is a beautiful thing. I think there would be many summer nights I'd feel compelled to wander in and around those stacks while sipping a cold one. Not sure why that is.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Back on track, JR, what the hell are you going to do with all this wood? It's going to take years to burn through it.

My plan is to burn it when I get to it. I'll be starting to burn the stuff in the photo during the '17-'18 heating season, as I have enough under my lean-two for next winter plus some. Seeing I first started stacking back there in spring of '14, when I start burning it it will have been seasoning for 3.5+ years. I just wish I had a better/more open area to stack it in, but I don't. My other half would not like it if I clear cut an area just for wood storage....LOL

I just enjoy going out on the weekends during winter and cutting/hauling wood. Gives me something to do. :)

Well, here's this winters haul. I just got it all out of the woods in time before the warm weather and rain makes the woods a wet/muddy mess. It's not going to be quite as much as last winter. It measures roughly 28'x19' the same ~7' tall. It's 80' in circumference around the bottom at the ground. I do have a small pile of maple off to the left that I will be putting in my soft wood shoulder season stacks. I'll be starting splitting/stacking all this soon and plan on having it done by May. I'm guessing 10-12 cords in total........???

View attachment 176541 View attachment 176542

Ended up being probably a little over 10.5 cord. There's a little over 10 1/4 cords stacked as seen by pic below and then I used some to finish off a previous stack elsewhere. All stacks are ~20" wide and 5.5' tall. The first four rows are 19' 7" long and the last four rows are 16'7" long.

IMG_4742.JPG

Last edited:
how do you have the posts at the ends supported? very nice stash of wood there

They are just 6 1/2' t-posts driven into the ground a foot or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.