Any Harm In Letting A Tank Sit With Water For a While?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I was thinking of testing my buffer tank for leaks before the rest of the system is completed. Any harm is letting the water set in the tank for a while?

I was thinking of testing my buffer tank for leaks before the rest of the system is completed. Any harm is letting the water set in the tank for a while?

Just keep it closed off to limit O2 ingress that promotes rust. It may be under pressure? if so you are fine.

They must have hydrotested it at the factory because there was wetness at the protective caps when I remeoved them. So, if I put it under some pressure, say house pressure, and close it off, that would be a good thing?

Usually a heating system sees lower pressure than domestic (house) water - so be careful there. Double check PSI rating on your tank. If you're on municipal, some municipalities have pretty high pressures in places.

Thanks! I'm on a well and it actually has a gauge. I seem to recall it's set at 40 psi. I'll check out the tank literature. Or, maybe I won't do anything before I fill the entire system and hope those threaded connections don't leak. :)

I had a couple niggling little drips on my system. I put a bottle of Gunk boiler stop leak stuff in and end of problem. I was amazed. No issues since.

Status
Not open for further replies.