Any help or info on wood burning fire inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryguy322

Feb 18, 2008
Brillion, WI
Hello everyone,
I just found this forum after looking online for 2 weeks for someplace that I could hopefully get some info on a wood burning fireplace insert. Right now I have an old masonary fireplace and want to install an insert. I have a single story home about 1200 sq. ft. so I don't think I need anything too big. I've been to several places that sell and install inserts now, and so far everyone carries a different brand or brands and of course every place says that there inserts are good as any other. So, my question is can anyone give me any advice, good/bad experiences they've had, what to look for/stay away from? The brands I've been looking at so far are Napoleon, Regency, Enviro, Lopi, and Vermont Castings, and they all seem to be comparable in price. I still want to get to Green Bay and Oshkosh to look at some places and I'm sure they'll have some other brands yet too. If anyone can give me some info, it would be very much appreciated because at this point I am lost. Thanks.
Bryguy322

They are all good brands. Look at the warranties. VC warranty on the winterwarms is only 3 year. Your going to find better on alot of the other brands.

If you want to check out any Quad units I think Darboy Stone in Appleton carries that brand. Otherwise all the major brands seem to be pretty good.

16 miles
DARBOY STONE & BRICK INC.
W3277 CREEKVIEW LN
APPLETON, WI 54915
920-734-2882
http://www.darboystone.com

We used to have a store up there but it closed down and we sent the customers over to Darboy.

I would add the Jotul C350 or C450 and the Hampton 300i while you are looking.

My father-in-law has a LOPI Answer stove and it has been performing for 10 or 11 years now and he has no complaints. I have a PE summit stove and I like it as well, but I did just buy it about a month ago.

My brother and I have Avalon stoves, he the Ranier and I the Olympic. His house is slightly larger than yours and his stove works great for him. We have both used a Lopi Answer also, worked great just a bit too small. Lopi and Avalon are both manufactured By Travis Industries so check them out, we love 'em! Good luck and welcome to the forum.

My recommendation would be to look at inserts with about 2 cu ft capacity. If Lopi, look at the Revere or Declaration, if Avalon, then the Ranier. The Answer is a small stove with shorter burns. With the cold temps that Wisc. has been seeing, I think you'll want longer burn times than the Answer can provide and more reserve heat.

I have a Lopi Declaration and this is the first year using it. I am very pleased with the heat output. I have a 2700 sq. ft. 2 story colonial and it keeps the main floor warm (72-75) and the 2nd floor acceptable (62-65).
We picked this one because we were looking for a flush insert.

The only drawback is the height of the insert from the floor. My hearth is floor height, not raised, I therefore have to get on my hand and knees or on my butt to load the stove. Not too big of an issue but still an issue.

I am new to this forum but for 6 weeks now I am using my new insert. It is a HITZER 983, it burns coal or wood and it is a heck of a bargain for what you get. It weighs in at 600# and it is well made. The weight is a good indicator of the type of material they used to build it with. I paid $1650 USD, tax included, and it is a good, solid insert. I can burn wood or coal and it puts out heat with the wood but the coal...Whew! talk about a fire!
If you want an all-night burn, get the biggest FIREBOX you can find. The 983 is HUGE and if I pack it full of wood and set it I go to work (nights) and wifey don't have to mess with it. I am gone at least 11 hours a day and there are plenty of coals to keep the blower running and to get another fire going. I looked at the Lowe's special (century 2500) and it weighs in at 255# and I heard stories about them cracking from working them too hard. Definitely get more than what you need ,as far as size, because you can always build a smaller fire of open a window. haha

www.hitzer.com

Take a look at Pacific Energy. They have quite a following on here. I have had my Summit for a year now and I love. I haven't ran the furnace yet.

You are lucky you found this site before buying your first insert. I did not...but I did find it before buying my second insert (Jotul 550).

What I learned from my first experience:

1. Get a firebox bigger than you think you will need.

2. Get a unit with blowers mounted on the front of your unit where they can easily be cleaned.(ie. easily accessible)

3. Go with a dealer that is knowledgeable or will admit that they don't know something but tell you they don't know and will then call the manufacturer to get the answer to your inquiry. Honesty goes a long way especially if you have
issues after the install.

4. Be absolutely sure that the person who does the install knows what they are doing. Ask questions and demand answers that are sound!

5. Don't cut corners. You will pay later!

6. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

:coolsmile:

Thanks to everyone that gave input. I decided to go with the Napoleon 1401. The salesperson said I should probably go with the smaller unit, the 1101, but just about everyone says to go bigger that you think so I went with the big one. That and they took 10% off the 1401 because it was the display model and they wanted to put in the new 1402 model. After the discount, it wasn't much more than the 1101. Hopefully it was the right choice I don't get heated out. My new problem now though is I want to redo the fireplace surround and mantle before it goes in and they're way too many choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.