Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rj316

Sep 18, 2007
I am new to the internet and by posting on a forum I can get real peoples feedback on things. If I use free websites to post my business and myself on sites like www.craigslist, www.myspace and www.jobberz.com will I get real people or will I get a lot of spam. I don't want to come home to see lots of junk in my inbox. Craigslist looks fine, www.jobberz.com looks better but not sure if the internet is a good way to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on your business. And when it comes to advertising a business, free internet sites are going to get you exactly what you paid: nothing. Usually for a small business, word-of-mouth is by far the best and biggest type of ad you'll get. Working hard to make your customers happy, instead of competing with others on these sites is the way to go. The Internet isn't a magic bullet for business, ask all the "ebay tycoons" out there who were going to make millions.

If you are in a large city, craigslist and others may get you some calls. I live in the sticks, most people out here can't spell "computer". But those calls will be from people looking to get something for nothing, or close to it.

I've had the same email address for over 13 years, and actually get very little "spam" mail. I use throwaways from yahoo and gmail for "risky" sites that require an address though. It just boils down to using the same caution you would with any transaction.

Greg123 said:
What does this have to do with Wood Burning :question:

Perhaps they have a hearth-related business? Agree that I still don't see the connection to this part of the forum.

I clean chimneys real well and need to make extra money so i figured let me ask the forum and see if there is a demand................times are tuff my friend

I also agree with Gibbonboy. Word of mouth is your best bet. Is their a high demand in your area for Chimney cleaning.

If you are planning on doing this for pay there is more involved then putting out your shingle. Do you have insurance, are you planning on paying tax on the income, have you already set up a company or llc, do you have any certifications, do you have to be on a list to do this type of work in your area... It would be too bad if you waited until you fell of a customer's roof to think about some of these.

For what its worth I'd never even heard of Jobberz until you posted (if that is any indication of public knowledge of the site). I do, however, use Craigslist almost daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.