Q&A Any hints on where to obtain really good fire bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

After only one season the fire brick in our new wood stove started to crumble. They turned yellow and powdery whereas the ones on the side and in back are still almost as white as if they were new. The dealer said they'd hold another season or so but then need to be replaced. In contrast, all the fire brick I saw in the past in old stoves or in our former fireplaces held up for decades. Even the ones in Pa's old oil burner did.Where can I obtain fire brick that last a long time and can be placed in the new EPA-style wood stoves? I don't care what color they are as long as they don't crumble so easily. I bet I'm not the only one.

Answer:

Usually you can buy firebricks at a local masonry yard. The ones in most stoves are called "splits" and are usually 4 1/2 by 9. Some use 4x8's. They cost less than a buck apiece, so it's no big deal if you have to replace some every couple years.Note: Replacements from a manufacturer or stove/fireplace shop will cost more.

Status
Not open for further replies.