any hunters on the forum?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Going into the woods this weekend for the first time this year NOT to get firewood lol! Actually kind of pissed at myself since I didnt realize the season started the weekend before last and I was up to the farm with my chainsaw... when I got to the farm I noticed a couple trucks parked on the side of the woods, I'm thinking wait a minute... and just then my BIL is like oh yeah dont you know hunting season started... :shut: doh! At least I brought home something... And last weekend I had to work, so this will be the first trip out.

ours opened last weekend :)

DSC08356.jpg

Not a hunter myself . . . but several in the family are . . . my sister in Alaska just shot her first moose the other day in fact . . . shot with a bow . . . although her husband did administer a final kill shot.

In Ohio, isn't it called baiting season instead of hunting season? At least someone told me you're allowed to bait there.

heating8 said:
In Ohio, isn't it called baiting season instead of hunting season? At least someone told me you're allowed to bait there.

You can hunt over bait on private property but on public land it is Illegal.

From Ohios hunting regulations

It shall be unlawful for any person to
distribute, place, or scatter salt, grain, or
other feed capable of luring, enticing, or
attracting game animals, on lands owned,
controlled, or maintained by the wildlife
division including those lands managed
by the division by virtue of a lease or an
agreement

Yeah in Ohio you can... several of the guys I hunt with made thier own corn feeders but I dont think it helps them at all. Maybe if there wasnt farm land all around and acorns under every tree. I tried setting out a salt block a couple of times, it would always get used, but never saw a deer do it while hunting. Some folks even plant a special crop of something in a little spot. Personally it just makes more work and raises the cost of hunting. Just between the license and tags its already getting to the point it isnt cost effective to hunt anymore, especially turkey.

I think this question was submitted by the wild animals so that they would know who to watch out for. It was only a matter of time before they learned to use the internet. %-P

Next Saturday bow season opens in N.Y. southern zone. I will be attached to a tree for sure. I hope to be in Ohio bow hunting in early November also so save a few bucks for me!! Wayne National Forest near Logan Ohio. Good luck

Schoondog

Here is my camp a few days before last season. We hunt mainly with Flintlock rifles and the occasional in-line muzzleloader and have a great time doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_3996.jpg
    IMG_3996.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 370
Love to hunt here lots of species too deer, bear, coon, goose, turkey, and the list can go on both gun and archery, muzzleloader, centerfire, recurve and compound . . . took my son out for the 1st time a couple weeks ago. He had the time of his life.

webby3650 said:
Here is my camp a few days before last season. We hunt mainly with Flintlock rifles and the occasional in-line muzzleloader and have a great time doing it.

that looks like alot of fun for sure... our muzzleloader opens in Dec,and will be at the camp for a week :)

terry

Deer in Highland County, VA, less than a mile from the WV line. Muzzleloading (.45 cal Knight inline) and rife (Remington Model 700 .270). We usually take 4 or 5 a year between the two of us, almost all of which ends up in my freezer. It's my most enjoyable time of year.

I've got a while to go yet-I only hunt with the shotgun which means I have to wait until the first week of December here in New Jersey. I go out for the six day firearm season (buck week) to see if I see "the big one." Then I wait for permit shotgun season which runs from January to February when you can hunt unlimited does-regardless of what happens during buck week, permit shotgun fills the freezer for the year.

Our Deer season opens on Monday and runs two and a half months tell the new year. I have a blind in our front yard near the driveway. Usually I am able to fill my tags every year, Two does and any buck that happens by. I have seen deer almost everyday this month, which is somewhat surprising because the DNR sends them postcards every year. I use my old Winchester Md 70, pre 64 in 30-06. It's a old gun just like me but we usually get her done. I really enjoy and treasure my relaxing time spent in the woods. Getting a deer might happen but it's absolutely not a problem if it doesn't. Sometimes when I'm enjoying the quiet I don't want a deer to bother me. David

loon said:
webby3650 said:

that looks like alot of fun for sure... our muzzleloader opens in Dec,and will be at the camp for a week :)

terry
I hunt with my muzzleloaders all of shotgun through muzzleloader season. Gun season doesn't start her until Nov. 13th.

Elk season just opened here in northern Idaho.Not a good time to cut firewood.lol We get moose in the front yard a few times a winter.Sometimes you see them in town running down the streets.

Captain Hornet said:
I use my old Winchester Md 70, pre 64 in 30-06. It's a old gun just like me but we usually get her done.

This should have been a "what do you hunt with" thread from the beginning. Every deer I've ever killed was with my dad's old Remington 1100 3" Magnum 12 gauge. With a 30" barrel, a full choke, and 00 Buck its deadly accurate to nearly 80 yards-every deer it's ever been fired at ended up on the table ;) In fact it's 29 years old as of October 6th-he bought it on my birthday.

Badfish740 said:
Captain Hornet said:
I use my old Winchester Md 70, pre 64 in 30-06. It's a old gun just like me but we usually get her done.

This should have been a "what do you hunt with" thread from the beginning. Every deer I've ever killed was with my dad's old Remington 1100 3" Magnum 12 gauge. With a 30" barrel, a full choke, and 00 Buck its deadly accurate to nearly 80 yards-every deer it's ever been fired at ended up on the table ;) In fact it's 29 years old as of October 6th-he bought it on my birthday.
Agreed, If I am serious I use my CVA Optima in-line muzzleloader, shots 1" high a 150 yards, dead on at 200 yards and I have never missed a deer with it. I just acquired an old Ruger 44 Magnum Semi-Auto rifle that I can't wait to try out!

Well since its a what you hunt with thread... I enjoy bow season the most, hunt with a Reflex Buckskin 70# and our bow season runs since the last weekend in september to the first in feb I believe (I usually dont bow hunt after gun though, but sometimes). Chrono'd at 285fps with my hunting arrows (not bad for a budget bow 5 years ago - I do have it setup pretty nice though). For the rest of the season (our 1 week shotgun season in december, extra shotgun weekend, and muzzleloader first week jan) I use my smokepole, Knight Disc Elite 50cal. None of my shotguns throw a slug worth a darn so I carry the smokepole through all the gun seasons.

Before I moved to Ohio I grew up in upstate NY and used dads old .270 (Rem 7600). After flipping a buck over backwards at 225 yards running away from me on a drive while standing freehand everyone called me 'ol dead eyes. I figure it was working well so I went out and bought a new Remington 7600 .270. It sucks now in Ohio I can't use it.

schoondog said:
Next Saturday bow season opens in N.Y. southern zone. I will be attached to a tree for sure. I hope to be in Ohio bow hunting in early November also so save a few bucks for me!! Wayne National Forest near Logan Ohio. Good luck

Schoondog
Schoondog, I made a few trips down to southerntier when I was growing up. There was a farm we all used to hunt at until the fellow passed away and the wife sold it. It was between Deruyter and Cuyler Hill if you've ever heard of those.

OK, I have a ruger super redhawk with a 2-7 burris scope for anything up to 125 or so yards. After that is an ar-15 with a 6.8spc upper and a burris 6.5-20 for the long shots. If I hunt thick brush I use the beowulf .50 cal upperwith a 4.5-14 on the ar15. Best personal shot so far was a spiker walking thru the woods. I dropped it at 103 yards per the gps, and that was off hand with the pistol.

I like to use a 30-06 browning a-bolt camo stock with a 2-7 burris scope.It has served me well.

.30-06 and .270 are both wonderful cartridges, as is the .308! The 6.8spc is basically a .270

got this 7600 rem carbine pump a couple years ago and like it very much :)

DSC08463.jpg

got the fella in the middle with it last year..

DSC06403-3.jpg

DSC04802.jpg

loon

Status
Not open for further replies.