Any Husqvarna 460 Owners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell us a little bit about what you currently have and what the new saw will be used for. 24 inch is too much for regular use with that saw.

It would be better with a 20".

If you haven't bought one yet. Look at the Husky 545, much better saw with all the auto tune features. Almost 15% lighter and .3 HP less with all metal chassis. If you shop, cheaper too.

The 545 is a de-tuned 550XP.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscape-and-groundcare/products/chainsaws/545/

He's looking for 60cc but I like where you're going with your recommendation. How about the 555? That one's a de-tuned 562xp. I Still wouldn't run 24" on a 555. Think 70cc if you always want to run a 24" bar.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
He's looking for 60cc but I like where you're going with your recommendation. How about the 555? That one's a de-tuned 562xp. I Still wouldn't run 24" on a 555. Think 70cc if you always want to run a 24" bar.

I agree with what you are saying.

Yes the 460 is 60cc but a heavy one at that. The 545 is close in power and much lighter.

The 555 is very capable but probably more $$$ than he wants to spend. I think for most firewood use, a real good 50cc can't be beat.

I too keep a 20" bar on my 562XP.

I traded a 562XP for a new 562XPG a couple weeks ago.

ixefy8.jpg

1q1fgk.jpg

f40483.jpg

Reactions: Clyde S. Dale
Tell us a little bit about what you currently have and what the new saw will be used for. 24 inch is too much for regular use with that saw.

I landscape and also do stump grinding. I've been expanding into some basic tree work; pruning and limb removal. I want to be able to tackle some larger jobs like the occasional falling of small/medium trees. I've turned down a few jobs I would have been able to tackle if I had something a bit stronger than my ms250. It would help me with the wood scrounging, too.

How about the Stihl magnum 440? Anyone know the costs with a 24" bar? I can find it at any local dealers.

I landscape and also do stump grinding. I've been expanding into some basic tree work; pruning and limb removal. I want to be able to tackle some larger jobs like the occasional falling of small/medium trees. I've turned down a few jobs I would have been able to tackle if I had something a bit stronger than my ms250. It would help me with the wood scrounging, too.

How about the Stihl magnum 440? Anyone know the costs with a 24" bar? I can find it at any local dealers.

$650 will easily get you a Husky 555 and is the low end of a 562XP. Unfortunately with the needs you just listed, you are almost already into the two saw category. For flush cutting stumps you want a big saw, at least 70 cc. For basic work a good higher end 50cc like the MS261, or Husky 346/545/550 would be great.

I just looked and retail on a MS441 C/M Magnum is $950._g

$650 should get you a nice used Husqvarna 372xp. You could run a 24" bar on that all day. Try Craigslist or even eBay.

Unless one is quite savvy on saws, I am reluctant to drop big dollars on CL/Fleabay chainsaws unless they are so cheap you can plan on putting money into them.

Rather due some research and buy a good used pro saw from a competent reliable mechanic who refurbishes saws. If you don't know any PM me and I'll give you a couple places to look.

Clyde you are right though, I paid $380 for an excellent 372XPG that had been completely gone through by a dealer who stands behind. Amazing saw, I thought the 562XP was strong, but it's not even close to a 70CC saw.

I'm throwing my hat in the ring for the 555! I have been happy with mine and it is good quality. If you are doing it for jobs, you will definitely want the pro line.

+1 for the 372xp with the 24" bar. It has plenty of power but not nearly as heavy as the bigger bore saws

For $650 you should be able to find great condition 372xp, ms440/ms441/044, or ms460. All those saws will pull the 24 inch bar with no issues.

I'm pretty sold on the 70cc. I've been PM'ed a few links. A used 372xp keeps coming up. Unfortunately I've been loading and unloading my trucks since Sunday morning. I haven't had much chance to follow through. Hopefully I can keep my eyes open long enough to look further. I just got my white oak fire blazing and I'm feeling a little sleepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.