Any idea on ID of this wood ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
Got a deliver of wood yesterday had this in it, not much. Seems dense. I asked guy what kind it was he paused for a while then after scratching his butt :) said he thought "Maybe Locust ?" I am in New England, SE Mass.

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 645
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 635
Young Hackberry? Was it tough to split? Or did it kind of snap once it let go when split.

The inside pic looks a bit like the beechnut we have here, but the bark is smooth not pebbly like that.

Definitely not Hackberry. I highly doubt that it's Ash either. Ash of that size would have the diamond shaped furrows.
The wood kind of looks like Boxelder to me. Prolly isn't though.

Adios Pantalones said:
Struggle- I'd think that at the size it seems to be (splitting size) it would have hackberry warts already. I thought the same for a few. Hackberry that size is pretty uncommon in MA I think.

You guys grow different trees on the east coast. We here in the middle of Gods country keep it a little more simple with less varieties I guess ;-)

Adios Pantalones said:
Struggle- I'd think that at the size it seems to be (splitting size) it would have hackberry warts already. I thought the same for a few. Hackberry that size is pretty uncommon in MA I think.
Hackberry is the same size everywhere from what I've read. They are medium sized trees. I've never seen one more than 40 ft. tall. You could get a log that size from the trunk of one I think.

I'd say beech. The grain looks like ash, but not the bark.

just cut a cord of that. beech

Status
Not open for further replies.