Any idea what this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
They think it is Maple?

Attachments

• 080911 scrounge 1.jpg
    080911 scrounge 1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 531
  • 080911 scrounge 2.jpg
    080911 scrounge 2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 522
  • 080911 scrounge 3.jpg
    080911 scrounge 3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 520
Looks like a big siver to me.

Difficult to tell from the pictures but maple was the first to come to my feeble mind.

smokinjay said:

hmmm, thought I had found something worthy of breaking out the 5 footer for the first time on.

Could you post a close-up of the bark and some freshly-cut end-grain?

Could even be white oak, from the bark. Whether maple or oak should be trivial for you, from density.

CTYank said:
Whether maple or oak should be trivial for you, from density.

That's as good as the pics get. I'll probably go take a look at it. Not too interested in two days of work for Silver Maple. I have easy access to it for a lot less work, an hour or two a bucked cord from the time I leave my house to the time it is dumped by the splitter.

CTYank said:
Could you post a close-up of the bark and some freshly-cut end-grain?

Could even be white oak, from the bark. Whether maple or oak should be trivial for you, from density.

+1

I am thinking silver maple for sure. It is really hard to tell from those pics, but I am pretty sure it is not like any white oak I have ever seen. Looks close to that but looks a lot more like silver.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

hmmm, thought I had found something worthy of breaking out the 5 footer for the first time on.

Silver could be a great score over cottonwood. :cheese:

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I would give it a look. Could be a sugar maple. Really hard to tell from the pics.

Looks like a hand splitter's nightmare. Lots of crotches there. I would pass no matter the species. But I may be a wood snob.

smokinjay said:
Silver could be a great score over cottonwood. :cheese:

lol, if you don't expect too much, you'll never be let down

Flatbedford said:
But I may be a wood snob.

I'm getting that way too if its not either good or at least easy.

Flatbedford said:
I may be a wood snob.
You may be, Mr. "Running out of space for all my Oak". :lol:

if I seen some locally that big I'd grab it if I wasnt almost full back here.Parents have 10 acres to store wood on,I wont be hauling any out there however. Just wouldnt make sense to haul it 55 miles out,then in a year or 2 go out & bring it back to town.

Status
Not open for further replies.