Any ideas on how to fix vibration on a Harman XXV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gumballrv

Jul 26, 2008
Eastern Pennsylvania
I've read previous threads about rattling on the combustion fans on a Harman XXV. I think I have a similar problem, but not exactly. My XXV vibrates when the auger motor is on. It's loud enough to be heard with the TV on in a different room. Standing at the front of the stove if I hold the left side panel of the stove I can make the vibration stop. If I tap on that same panel, I can get the vibration noise to replicate with the stove off. I'm not sure if the panel is loose (I can't tell how exactly it would come apart), or if something is against it on the inside of the stove that shouldn't be. Is is something that could have been left loose when the dealer did the "spring cleaning" on the stove back in June? I called my dealer for service, and the nearest appointment they would give me is 17 days from now. The dealer also told me that any labor would not be covered. This is the beginning of my second season with the stove and if it's something simple I could do myself and save a few bucks and lost time at work I'd like to do that. And besides that many days with that sound coming from my stove will make me nuts! Thanks in advance for the help. I read the forums often, and I know that someone out there has some ideas.
Ricky

The only vibration on my 3 year old XXV was the bottom of the fan shroud.I solved that by placing a popsickle stick under the stove and wedged up against the shroud. No more rattles.

if you can put your hand on the side panel and get the noise to stop its very likely the panel. There are 2 panels, 1 for each side. There are 2 screws per panel. You can use a flat head screwdriver or 3/8 socket to tighten the screws. In your manual there is a digram on how to remove the panels. They sit in a track so that they can slide out sideways. Theres a chance that they are not aligned correctly as well. Take a look at the pic in your manual and compare. I'd say the worst case you'd have to remove the panels and put them back on straight and tighten the screws, 5-10 minutes tops. good luck

I got rid of a vibration in my St. Croix by cleaning the crap out of the motors... two years was too long to go without pulling the fans and blowing them out with compressed air.

In my case the hopper extension was rattling but it was caused by vibrations from the out of balance motor.

I had a similar problem w/ my two XXV's. The noise came from the distribution fan nearest the control panel. The fan shroud is setting next to the ths stove and creates a irritating noise. Fix one with clear silicone between the distribution fan shroud and frame of stove., the other one like a provious post replied I placed a small stick on the floor and jammed it next to the fan shroud. (silicone the preferred method)

Status
Not open for further replies.