ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO PUT A 4- WAY WEDGE ON A VERT/HORIZ. SPLITTER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabbers

Oct 15, 2008
NE OHIO
I have a husky 34 ton log splitter vert./horiz. with a 13.5 Hp briggs. I split most of my wood horiz.. The problem is I would want it to be a slip on because the 4-way wedge wouldn't go through the dewooding bars. The meatal bars that take stuck pieces of wood off.

I'm sure you could fabricate something up, possibly in conjunction with a modification to the dewooding bars. You would probably want to have the slip-on wedge be a slip+bolt or something, so that it doesn't get stuck in the wood when you retract the ram to try for a second push on a nasty piece.

Do be aware that a 4-way on the wedge would invite unusual strains on the slider that would not normally be seen in standard configuration, or where the wedge was mounted to the beam.

I agree with the Northern Tool slip-on. Minor things with mine...First: existing wedge is quite wide, requiring slicing and spreading the rear strap of slip-on and welding on a cross piece. Second: As seen in top view, the difference in angles between the two wedges allows movement of the slip-on, and after a cord of working, the rather thin strap broke off. No biggie, will get some proper metal, say 1/4"thick and 1.5" wide steel and form it to a snugger fit and re-weld.
Otherwise, at $80, it's an economical upgrade that substantially increases productivity.

Attachments

• top view.JPG
    top view.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 290
  • with wedge.JPG
    with wedge.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 278
Status
Not open for further replies.