any ideas on where to get a replacement motor for splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
Simple as that, need a Briggs and Stratton 8hp horizontal shaft for my buddie's splitter, any ideas where I could get a good used one. Maybe these are not common on the market and getting new is the only way, wasn't looking forward to paying ~$400 retail.

Thanks

churchie said:
Simple as that, need a Briggs and Stratton 8hp horizontal shaft for my buddie's splitter, any ideas where I could get a good used one. Maybe these are not common on the market and getting new is the only way, wasn't looking forward to paying ~$400 retail.

Thanks
Try all the mower shops in your town one of them should have a used one

there's a place called air cooled engines in menominee michigan. their phone number is 1 800 334 9535. try them, they might be able to help.

I would just grab a brand new harbor freight engine of whatever HP is cheapest and more than 8. They are now CARB approved and very cheap. I was trying to find a vertical shaft engine for my mower but they seem to only have a bunch of horizontal shafters.

Yep. I replaced my five horse Briggs on my 1988 20 ton splitter last year with the Chinese knock-off of a Honda 6.5 horse engine at Harbor Freight. Just coasting it splits anything in sight so running at half speed it ought to drive that formerly eight horse driven splitter. The thing just cost $129 and with a coupon it was under a hundred. At that price I bought one for either a spare or to put on my compressor. Be sure to watch the shaft size on whatever you get.

I love that little engine. Starts and runs like a dream.

I replaced the same briggs you have this past spring on my old 22 ton Brave. The problem with a lot of replacement engines is the 8hp and up Briggs have the larger dia. shaft. This makes it take a pretty hefty jump in price over the 6 1/2 hp in addition the pump coupler you have now will not work on a smaller dia. shaft. I noticed the 8 hp Harbor Freight had the small shaft and I was unsure about their quality(although it appears others think there OK). I went through Small engine warehouse on the web and got an exact replacement(of a 28 yr.old engine) for $360.00 incl. shipping. Also, take a good look at the pump to engine bolt pattern. The Harbor Freight Chinese motor did not match mine.

That $360 sounds like a deal to jump on.

I would be willing to part with the old/original 8 hp Briggs(you would have to pay for shipping) if you feel like doing some work on it. It still runs but the recoil starter disintegrated so I rigged it so I could coil the starter rope manually. The carb will/does need to be rebuilt and it uses a bit of oil(not to much though). I just decided that rather than working on it and trying to keep nursing it along I would treat it nicely and put on a new oem engine. (it deserved it)

The Robins/Subaru is supposed to be a top notch engine and It might have the larger dia. shaft although some of the newer 8-12 hp engines now have the smaller shaft(due to improvements in metallurgy I suppose)

polaris said:
I would be willing to part with the old/original 8 hp Briggs(you would have to pay for shipping) if you feel like doing some work on it. It still runs but the recoil strter disinigrated so I rigged it so I could coil the starter rope manually. The carb will/does need to be rebuilt and it uses a bit of oil(not to much though). I just decided that rather than working on it and trying to keep nursing it along I would treat it nicely and put on a new oem engine. (it deserved it)

Wow, thanks, looks like I have a couple paths to go down, Polaris I'll send you a PM

BrotherBart said:
Yep. I replaced my five horse Briggs on my 1988 20 ton splitter last year with the Chinese knock-off of a Honda 6.5 horse engine at Harbor Freight. Just coasting it splits anything in sight so running at half speed it ought to drive that formerly eight horse driven splitter. The thing just cost $129 and with a coupon it was under a hundred. At that price I bought one for either a spare or to put on my compressor. Be sure to watch the shaft size on whatever you get.

BB, is this close to what you are running http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96500

Don't forget Northern, the old Northern Hydraulics people. A friend mounted a hyd. pump on the front of his light tractor (about 15 HP). It worked great. Good luck.

northern tool
www.surpluscenter.com

should be easy to find, most of that size have the 4 bolts for pump mounting. Lawnmower or tiller engines maynot have the mounts. And tiller engines may have a 3:1 reduction built in which you don't want.
How bout an old snowblower?

BrotherBart said:

The tough thing about going down in Hp(and even more importantly in torque) is not so much the inability to accomplish the task but a significant increase in cycle times.

polaris said:
BrotherBart said:

The tough thing about going down in Hp(and even more importantly in torque) is not so much the inability to accomplish the task but a significant increase in cycle times.

A whole lot of cycle time is the RPM which is going to be 3650 with most small engines.

BrotherBart said:
polaris said:
BrotherBart said:

A whole lot of cycle time is the RPM which is going to be 3650 with most small engines.
I maybe misinformed(it happens a lot) but if cycle time is primarily rpm influenced then why wouldn't a 1cyl 25cc 2 stroke work as well(or nearly as well) as a 12 hp on a 20-28 ton unit.

The no-load cycle time would be fine if that 2 stroke could be run at 3600 RPM. The only work being done is to overcome fluid resistance to flow through the fittings. Once you hit a log and need some work to be done then the 2 stroke would stall.

polaris said:
BrotherBart said:
polaris said:
BrotherBart said:

I maybe misinformed(it happens a lot) but if cycle time is primarily rpm influenced then why wouldn't a 1cyl 25cc 2 stroke work as well(or nearly as well) as a 12 hp on a 20-28 ton unit.

Well, it goes something like this: Cycle time is the result of the displacement of the pump (Gal per. Min.), in conjunction to the diameter (or volume) of the cylinder that the fluid is being supplied too. The gal. per min. number can be increased in a couple of ways. Increase rpm or increase the size of the pump (increasing the pump size usually means increasing the hp running it). Most pumps don't like extreme rpm because of cavitation of the fluid, but up to 3600 rpm (which most splitter pumps are rated for) this is not a problem. Pulling a pump requires a reasonable amount of torque (per hp) which a 2 stroke is not well known for, as well as the higher rpm of a 2 stroke may be counter productive above the 3600 rpm.

Pumping fluid is a HP game and unless you can gear the 2 stroke to run at its proper RPM (say 10,000 RPM) and put 3600 rpm to the pump then the 2 stroke won't be making much HP for pushing fluid.

smokinj said:
churchie said:

Thanks
Try all the mower shops in your town one of them should have a used one

Ats what I was thinkin'. If not a complete engine you may be able to get all the big chunks. Also, where can you get a new one for $400?...that sounds pretty reasonable actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.