Any information on a Gibraltar wood/coal insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

musikfan19681964

Nov 17, 2010
Central PA
Hello everyone.

I just signed up this evening with the forum, due to the fact that I am seriously leaning towards heating with coal this fall. Please forgive me if I am asking a question that may have been answered before. Thanks for your patience as I am very new with all this. I have only ever used a free standing wood stove.

Does anyone have any information on Gibraltar wood/coal inserts? Generally good, average, or poor quality??? We are moving in two weeks to a home with a fireplace. I am hoping to heat with coal and I'd like to keep it simple with a fireplace insert, especially since we do not have the room or clearance for a free standing stove. This particular insert is approximately 650 lbs and is made of plate steel and cast iron. The manual says that it will burn up to 30 hours, has an air wash system to eliminate creosoting of glass, and also has a double blower system. Do I need a chimney liner to use this stove? Can I use this stove without the blower if we would happen to lose electricity? This particular model has the large flat piece attached to the back which completely covers the opening in the fireplace, basically creating a "shield" behind the firebox. Is this good, or does it not matter in the grand scheme of things???

Thank you for fielding all my novice questions. I appreciate any advice or information you might give.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.