Any input on these pellets? At $195/ton I have to look...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AddictiveStew

Burning Hunk
Mar 13, 2013
PA
http://www.woodpelletreviews.com/Reviews/Wood-Pellets/Wood-Pellets-Co.html

Seems to have very few reviews. I got a few bags with the stove installation and they seem pretty decent, good heat and low ash. And I would love to support a local PA business. I of course have nothing to compare them to since they are the only ones I have tried. At $195 a ton, do you think it's worth it? Still thinking of grabbing Turmans instead but this price is tempting...

the local dealer here sells them for 225 so the price is good.
Looks like they are a pretty 'average' pellet and i'm sure the turmans will blow them away heat-wise. maybe 2 of these for fall/spring and 1 turman for the dead of winter?

the local dealer here sells them for 225 so the price is good.
Looks like they are a pretty 'average' pellet and i'm sure the turmans will blow them away heat-wise. maybe 2 of these for fall/spring and 1 turman for the dead of winter?

Great feedback, thanks! I'm still leaning towards the Turmans I think.

Used a ton of these at the beginning of this past burn season. Of the all the pellets I used this year (my first burning year) they were hands down the best. Just picked up another ton a few weeks ago for $230 delivered (if I remember correctly). Extremely low ash compared to the Stove Chows, Cheat Rivers and Pres-to-logs. Felt hotter by the old "feel of the hand".

Since I have an insert my ash bin is small. So the low ash and not having to empty it as often is a big plus for me since the wife doesn't like to do it while I am away on business. Pellet length seemed long (had no feeding problems with my Harman) and fines/dust were a lot lower than the Chows, Cheats or Logs.

Would buy them over the local big box store inventory every day of the week. I plan on grabbing a few more tons of these late summer early fall for next burn season.

Ryan

Used a ton of these at the beginning of this past burn season. Of the all the pellets I used this year (my first burning year) they were hands down the best. Just picked up another ton a few weeks ago for $230 delivered (if I remember correctly). Extremely low ash compared to the Stove Chows, Cheat Rivers and Pres-to-logs. Felt hotter by the old "feel of the hand".

Since I have an insert my ash bin is small. So the low ash and not having to empty it as often is a big plus for me since the wife doesn't like to do it while I am away on business. Pellet length seemed long (had no feeding problems with my Harman) and fines/dust were a lot lower than the Chows, Cheats or Logs.

Would buy them over the local big box store inventory every day of the week. I plan on grabbing a few more tons of these late summer early fall for next burn season.

Ryan

Great to hear! Peak Distribution has them for $195/ton spring special. You may want to look into it.

That's who I had install my stove and who I just got the pellets from. They charged me the $195 plus a delivery fee. Late summer/fall I am borrowing a friends flat bed trailer to pickup 3-4 tons (trying to make the Pellet Pig Club).

Great guys at Peak. Been dealing with David Esh.

Ryan

I burned three bags just to test...very good heat a bit more ash than other brands I've tested but at $195, I'd easily buy a ton of those....

That's who I had install my stove and who I just got the pellets from. They charged me the $195 plus a delivery fee. Late summer/fall I am borrowing a friends flat bed trailer to pickup 3-4 tons (trying to make the Pellet Pig Club).

Great guys at Peak. Been dealing with David Esh.

Ryan

David installed my stove on Thursday. Good guy.

I've toured the C C Smith mill a few times, great locally owned & operated mill. This years pellets were the best they've produced in some time. I always thought of them as a shoulder season burn, not this years batch!! One of the cleanest & hottest I burnt this season. Remember, batches do vary, but for 195 go for it!!

I went through 3 tons of them, the 2 ton I got when they brought my stove were different than the 2 ton I picked up later. the later ones made more ash than the first ones, heat output seemed okay bit this is my first full year of burning. The company is just up the road maybe 25 miles. I had no issues with them, but coming to this forum makes one want to try different things i guess, so this year I have a guy selling green label Lignetic for 225 and another doing Hamers for 225 also so I will be trying one of those for next year.
My dealer is doing the WPC pellets for 178 and they are half mile from the plant so 195 seems like a fair deal on them.

I would use them again with, just want to try something else.

Burned them for many years, before going with the premium typr Hammer pellets, Etc. But really thinking of grabbing a ton of these too. Price is right.

Yes I have 2 places for Hamers one is 20 miles away and is 225 + 90 for delivery and the other is about 30 miles and 229 + 65 for delivery. I think I am trying them, but the OP's pellet question I thought they were good but I have only tried 3 other kinds.

Average pellet. Probably a good "shoulder season" pellet at that price.

Unless they super sucked I'd stock up. Local prices per ton went up 15-20% from last year.

I can get the C&C ones local for 230$ on sale. The ones for 195$ are a good hour and a half or 2 hours away. The only other pellets I can get local are hamers for 280$ and they are sold out. They do not expect any more any time soon. I think eastern PA is just a tough place to get good pellets. For that kind of money I might just try HD or Lowes try your luck brands next fall.

I've used WPI...hated the smell, fines and just overall not impressed. This year had Turmans to try for $295/ton delivered. Ran out of Turmans and all I could get was WPI - HA! BEST WPI's I think they've ever had this year! Gone was the terrible chemical smell, all those fines AND the heat was just as good as the Turmans! Ash seemed to even be less than the Turmans too! I can get WPI's right now on "Spring sale" for $225/ton.

I've used WPI...hated the smell, fines and just overall not impressed. This year had Turmans to try for $295/ton delivered. Ran out of Turmans and all I could get was WPI - HA! BEST WPI's I think they've ever had this year! Gone was the terrible chemical smell, all those fines AND the heat was just as good as the Turmans! Ash seemed to even be less than the Turmans too! I can get WPI's right now on "Spring sale" for $225/ton.

Blasphemy! ;)

Reactions: briansol
Status
Not open for further replies.