Any Low priced Cat stoves??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastdonzi

Feb 18, 2015
East TN
A co-worker is looking for a Cat stove to heat 800-900 sq ft. Ive been telling him about mine but he cant putout that much. he wanted me to ask whats a good small reasonably priced cat stove (Oxymoron?? IDK :) ) Lol ...Is there one?? I thought tractor supply had one but they don't list a cat stove...Any ideas?? Thanks :)

What is the layout, and how is the air-sealing and insulation?

A co-worker is looking for a Cat stove to heat 800-900 sq ft. Ive been telling him about mine but he cant putout that much. he wanted me to ask whats a good small reasonably priced cat stove (Oxymoron?? IDK :) ) Lol ...Is there one?? I thought tractor supply had one but they don't list a cat stove...Any ideas?? Thanks :)
I picked up a Federal Airtight stove for $200 last year and it served its purpose quite well. Keep a check on Craigslist.

What is the layout, and how is the air-sealing and insulation?
Its a very small Drafty house from what he tells me, with an uninsulated floor with a crawl space... he has an older Buck with a glass door (Mini Buck/Baby Buck??) He's tired of getting up during the night and wants to go longer between loadings...

Its a very small Drafty house from what he tells me, with an uninsulated floor with a crawl space... he has an older Buck with a glass door (Mini Buck/Baby Buck??) He's tired of getting up during the night and wants to go longer between loadings...
Ours is a 100 year old farm house, about 1500 square foot. Wood stove is in the front room, I did install a small blower on it to help move some air. I can load it up about 8PM and its still putting out heat at 6AM when I get up. Our winters aren't normally that bad, but we did get down to 4 degrees with 36 hours below freezing last winter and still kept the house above 60. crawl space with no insulation, sidewalls and attic have some but house is on the drafty side when the wind whips out of the north. A free standing catalytic stove would definitely be an improvement.

The large sized (it's only 1.4 cu ft) Dutchwest is probably one of the cheaper cats.

The large sized (it's only 1.4 cu ft) Dutchwest is probably one of the cheaper cats.

That's what, about $1500? The only cheaper option is used, I think.

I've got a Dutchwest 2460. Looks like they go for around $1500. Mine will go 10 or more hrs. pretty easily on low. It should handle that sq. footage if he tightens it up a bit. I've been working on my air leaks, but it's still not super-tight here. Or he could spend more on the 2461 or 2462. Me, I would fix the air leaks; I don't like cold drafts on my feet when I'm sitting on my butt, loafing on the internet, generating no body heat. ==c

My 2460 is the small one and it measures out to 1.4 cu.ft. usable, with my tape. The 2461 and 2462 gotta be bigger but I don't know by how much.

Too bad the new smaller Woodstock steel hybrid isn't out yet, it should be under $2000. Of course, he could get a cheap non-cat over 2 cu.ft. that would burn overnight for around $1000 but I don't know if it would roast him out, once he tightens the place up...

The Dutchwest has provision for a blower. I usually run without unless it gets real cold and windy. I just back off a couple of bolt to drop down the block-off plates on the bottom of the stove, and it convects through those openings with the blower off.

I would install a cheap non-cat, even used, until you can save up for a cat stove from Woodstock or BK.

Status
Not open for further replies.