Any machinists out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Here's my predicament - I'm trying to remove a severly damaged Keensert. The problem is that while attempting to drill it out, I broke off the drill bit in the bolt that was in the Keensert. I now can't drill it out, and can't remove the bit (1/8" bit) - therefore, extractors are out of the question. Any suggestions? Thanks.

How big is the bolt vs. the Keensert? can you take a piece of flat stock, drill a hole in one end, smaller than the bolt diam., and plug weld it then unscrew the bolt? EDIT- or even plug weld a nut to the end of the bolt, then unscrew it. Not gonna be easy.

Got it. It wasn't easy. Ended up drilling from behind the Keensert and punching the broken off drill bit out, then drilling out the Keensert.

Status
Not open for further replies.