Any mature solution for solar Air Conditioning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 6KW portable generator with a 240 volt cheater cord. It plugs into the generator and would be backfed into a 100 AMP secondary panel in my garage via 60 amp breaker for my welder. I would need to manually shut off my main breaker to do this. Definitely not to code but a lot easier and cheaper than installing a 200 amp transfer switch for something that hasn't been needed for 16 years.

Sounds like you are in a great state for solar, do it sooner than later as there is an overall pull back on incentives for solar in some states (like Arizona and Ohio ) due to lobbying by the Koch brothers.
Pretty soon people will have to pay for their own solar panels instead of your neighbor paying for them! The nerve!

Reactions: Highbeam
Pretty soon people will have to pay for their own solar panels instead of your neighbor paying for them! The nerve!

SportBikeRider, I'll be sure to send you a Christmas card for your infrastructure contribution to the 7acres estate. :p

I have 6KW portable generator with a 240 volt cheater cord. It plugs into the generator and would be backfed into a 100 AMP secondary panel in my garage via 60 amp breaker for my welder. I would need to manually shut off my main breaker to do this. Definitely not to code but a lot easier and cheaper than installing a 200 amp transfer switch for something that hasn't been needed for 16 years.

I think I'm going to end up doing something like this. Unfortunately I did all this in reverse order. So my 17kw Generac with remote transfer panel will look like major overkill for a grid-tie backup solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.