1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any need to spilt 2" maple/ash rounds

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by fsk2, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsk2

fsk2 New Member

Loc:
    buffalo ny
    Burning in olympic wood stove.
    Any need to split these?
    I think no but want to get some opinions.

Thanks,
    Frank

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I wouldn't. I only split rounds if over 4", just over hand grabbing size.
  3. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    The only reason that I split anything small is that it does seem to speed drying-- but if you're far ahead on your wood, then you have time to let it dry without splitting.
  4. jadm

jadm New Member

Loc:
    colorado
    I use 2" rounds to prop my regular splits on when starting up a fire. They help circulate air under wood which gets things started easier. They also burn nicely and, since they aren't split, last longer which hilps the fire get established and hot.

I usually cut them into 9" lengths and let them season for a full year before using. Since they are small they don't take up much space. They add up fast and I probably have 2-3 years worth waiting to be used. Husband and I just cut up locust yesterday - a dead limb so it will season pretty quick. He wanted to toss the small stuff. I wouldn't let him. It's like throwing $ away to me. I even use the twigs as kindling....
  5. John_M

John_M Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I treat the small rounds the same way todd, pybyr and perplexed treat theirs. If I can comfortable hold the end of the round with one hand it is considered a small round. A buddy thinks I am wasting my time saving twigs for kindling. I think I am wasting money if I don't. Perplexed is right.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    No need to split . . . I subscribe to the one-hand "reasoning" mentioned previously. I actually adopted this reasoning from a friend who has always said if he can easily grasp a round with one hand there is no need to split it.
  7. maplewood

maplewood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NB Canada
    Hi Frank.
    2" is too small to split. But when you are stacking them in your stove, you won't get a lot of air circulation around them to help start a fire. Use some kindling, off-round pieces or cross-stack the wood to make sure the flames can move about easily.
    Happy burning,
    Larry
  8. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    Splitting speeds and assures seasoning. Its amazing how some of those small pieces sizzle like crazy when you think they are seasoned. Now 2" is pretty small to try and split. When I get to 3" if its straight I may try and split it, anything bigger is most likely gonna get a whack or two
  9. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    2" is too small to split. I split about 4" or more. With that said, those small unsplit rounds do seem to take a very long time to season.
  10. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Most of the time I split 2" rounds that are straight enough to make me think they will split easily. The ones with knots I don't usually bother to try to split. I use an axe held against the end of the round, then tap the round on the chopping block to split. It goes pretty easily, and I skip the ones that give me trouble. When I am more tired or busy, I sometimes raise the splitting size up to three or four inches diameter to save time.

They definitely dry more quickly when split, but I think a 2 inch stick would dry pretty well even when not split. I guess the main reason I split small pieces is because I enjoy doing it, more than i think it is necessary. However, if I was preparing wood for the upcoming winter, I would split as much as possible to make sure the wood is dry.
  11. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Two inches is a stick. I use'em for kindling.
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    2 in. would go on the brush pile!
  13. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    I find that the wood wiz is good for splitting 2" sticks if they're cut even reasonably straight on both ends. Unless they're fairly short, 2" sticks won't stand on their own to split w/ ax or hatchet, but the 'wiz can keep 'em standing straight 'till they split (helps to butt them up agains my splitting stump).

Of course, as others have said, 2-inchers will season just fine all on their own w/o splitting. I just split some of them to get a variety of sizes for building up fires in the old FP.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Agreed.
  15. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    I wouldn't bother. These 2 to 3" rounds are perfect for packing a stove at night. They fit in where small splits can't, especially at the top of the stove.

Attached Files:

16. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    well, if you dont have any kindling, that size makes for some easy hand splitting. that is what I would do
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.