Any of you ever use a Pellet Grill ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I have a traeger pellet grill and I love it. Load the pellets turn it on set the temp and your ready to go. I have smoked butts ribs chicken and it is awesome http://www.traegergrills.com/ My Dad liked mine so much he ran out and bought one also. A little on the expensive side but very well made and great support

I got turned on to Traeger grills a few years ago. I will NEVER go back to cooking on charcoal or gas again. Best thing I have ever used

How long does it take for the grill/pellets to reach "opperating" tempreture? I've heard that pellet grills are a little hard to heat up to high temps of 450 degreees or better, especially if outside temps are cold. In New England, that's almost the entire year.

I really miss the good old fashion taste of charcoal barbaque, but the convenience of gas cooking is tought to beat. The grill is ready for food in a matter of 5 mins.

I'd certainly consider a pellet grill if the start-up time was reasonable.

I wait about 10 minutes before I put the food on mine. Well, its about 10 minutes in the warmers months, I wait about 15 or so when it gets below freezing. This weekend for example, I come home from work, my wife has the meat prepared. I walk into the backyard before I go in the house. I hit the start button, kiss the wife and baby, change into my play clothes and go outside and throw the meat on the grill. The GREAT thing about it..it uses convection heat to cook. Regardless if its a 5 minute steak or a 5 hour roast, there is no flipping, turning or checking. Its easy mode

Franks said:
I wait about 10 minutes before I put the food on mine. Well, its about 10 minutes in the warmers months, I wait about 15 or so when it gets below freezing. This weekend for example, I come home from work, my wife has the meat prepared. I walk into the backyard before I go in the house. I hit the start button, kiss the wife and baby, change into my play clothes and go outside and throw the meat on the grill. The GREAT thing about it..it uses convection heat to cook. Regardless if its a 5 minute steak or a 5 hour roast, there is no flipping, turning or checking. Its easy mode

Franks - Thanks for the feedback. Are you able to sear meat if it only uses convection heat? Searing is a big deal for me.

very hard to sear meat. I crave a seared steak once in a while and will use my charcoal grill. Still, a steak on a Traeger is delicious..just different. I would always keep the charcoal just for a change of pace

Status
Not open for further replies.