any one use a moisture meter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought a mmd4e moisture meter online (the seeker) . once i get it i'll post some results of my first year wood pile

GolfandWoodNut said:
cptoneleg said:
I have split the wood a lot smaller ( 2" 3" few 4" ) than usual , hoping it will season enough to burn. I have MM need to experment with some more. I caint stick prongs in the ends of the Oak splits. Will try when I get back home. I will have plenty over a year next season.
Any suggestions on how to get prongs in to get a decent reading will be apreciated.

Always wanted to go to Alaska

Cpt- of Va
maybe your problem is sticking it in then ends. You resplit it and just push in lightly with the grain on the inside of the split. No hard pushing.
OK I will try that when I get home Labor Day weekend. Thanks

I use a MM from time to time. I find it be very inconsistent. If I resplit a piece of Oak, use the moisture meter on a few different sections of the split, I always end up getting very different readings, depending on where you stick the prongs. I think Fossil said it best,,they are good for telling if your wood is over 30 percent or under 30 percent.

jimosufan said:
any one check water content......to make sure wood is seasond.....?

This Cherry was left in the woods and stacked, it did get wind but not much sun. It's almost one full year since it was bucked,split and stacked, brought it down yesterday and stacked in the sun.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1341.jpg
    100_1341.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 225
should be here Sept 1..then test wood that was bucked about 1 and 1/2 years ago....but just recently split. then plan to check the first 2 cords of ash i bought split in may. Hopefully it will be close in Jan. I'll be learning the Insert this year and if I have to can use the dreaded gas furnace.

zapny said:
jimosufan said:

This Cherry was left in the woods and stacked, it did get wind but not much sun. It's almost one full year since it was bucked,split and stacked, brought it down yesterday and stacked in the sun. Thanks for posting the picture with the MM this first year with new stove. should really try my nerves. As I only have about 1 cord of 1 yr oak and have been cutting and splitting like crazy . And will have plenty 6 month old . Oh well hope I dont just have to look at my new stove this season .

Thanks Cpt

zap

I posted this on the other lowbrow forum (see below). I thought it was applicable to this thread. The moisture meter has come in handy over the season, especially dealing with wood you just aren't that familiar with.

Just wanted to give a moisture content update for my hackberry since there has been some back and forth on how long it needs to season. Of course seasoning varies and we all know the variables. The majority of my row is stacked N/S in the sunniest spot in my yard. It has been covered since it was stacked (c/s/s first of April). Around a month ago I check the MC (HF meter) and was reading around 27%. I split 5 pieces today, the largest was probably about 4"x4" square. Their was one that was wedge shaped and was around 5" on the bark side. Anyway I was getting ranges from 17%-23%. Is there any way to slow down the seasoning?(just kidding) At this rate it's going to be almost too seasoned. I've got about 2 more months to go before I'm really burning. I might have to mix in some of my greener oak just to balance things. I have read that optimal MC is between 15-20%. Getting below that is not good.

Another thing I noticed is that since the pieces have been covered the exposed wood is a beautiful gold color. Where the sides have been exposed to rain and more direct sun the wood is a grayish splotchy color. I know Wood Doc said it's used alot in woodworking. I can see why. Very nice gold color.

cptoneleg said:
zapny said:
jimosufan said:

This Cherry was left in the woods and stacked, it did get wind but not much sun. It's almost one full year since it was bucked,split and stacked, brought it down yesterday and stacked in the sun. Thanks for posting the picture with the MM this first year with new stove. should really try my nerves. As I only have about 1 cord of 1 yr oak and have been cutting and splitting like crazy . And will have plenty 6 month old . Oh well hope I dont just have to look at my new stove this season .

Thanks Cpt

Cpt. 2009 was my first year burning wood, Most of my wood was cherry so that was good plus we had 7 face cord of Sugar Maple for the colder months, some guys on here say oak takes close to three years for seasoning.

zap

zapny said:
cptoneleg said:
zapny said:
jimosufan said:

Thanks Cpt

Cpt. 2009 was my first year burning wood, Most of my wood was cherry so that was good plus we had 7 face cord of Sugar Maple for the colder months, some guys on here say oak takes close to three years for seasoning.

I hope I don't have to wait 3 yrs to enjoy my stove. I have split some real small seems to be seasonig good to me.

zap

ok got the mm today..ok took reading of the oak i bought in march 17 to 20.1 the year and half old stuff i just split is 23 to 26.....then i have 2 cords of ash split in may small splits 23 to 26 this is my fault I had four rows stacked tight. And last but not least 2cords split in june 29..so the ? is which stuff would you move to the fence in loose stacks? thanks for the advice

jimosufan said:
ok got the mm today..ok took reading of the oak i bought in march 17 to 20.1 the year and half old stuff i just split is 23 to 26.....then i have 2 cords of ash split in may small splits 23 to 26 this is my fault I had four rows stacked tight. And last but not least 2cords split in june 29..so the ? is which stuff would you move to the fence in loose stacks? thanks for the advice

I would probably move the ash. Probably most likely to have the most affect in the shortest time frame. You will be able to mix the lesser dry with the most dry in your heater.

next ? should I move the oak to the sunroom.....I live in the burbs. Almost no rain since July 4......all the grass is dead. But I know rain is coming it always dose in the fall.

I don't and wouldn't bring large quantities of firewood indoors, but I live in a probably more milder climate than you. I would move it to a spot with more sun and cross stack it for maximum drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.