any one use cant bar or peavy with log stand ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
If so do you like them ? What is your opinion about them? Looking to buck up some logs and thought one might be useful to raise logs of the ground ?
Was told they would pay for themselves by saving chains from either hitting the ground or rolling the logs and them getting dirty ?

I bought one twenty years ago. After a little bit of trying to get the thing to stand up I took the stand off. Maybe everybody else has hard level ground in their woods but I don't.

I have 4 of them. I find that using 2 at a time can lift the entire log off the ground giving me more cuts before repositioning them. But like BB said, they only work well on flat solid ground. In the rough, I use them as a peavy (leg removed) to roll the log after making all my cuts as deep as possible without hitting the ground so I can finish the cuts on the other side.

I have a logrite peavey with the stand. I love the peavey and use it often, but really don't use the stand. I find when bucking it is easier to cut 75-80% of the way through, then roll log and finish cut. So if I could do it over again, I probably wouldn't buy the stand, just the peavey.

I like them but they are slow to use over not using one.

I have one that I'll give away. It is the most useless tool I have. I tried and tried the thing and it does work but is more of a pain in the rear than anything. What works better for me is to make a cut in the log (about 3/4 down) then using a cant hook, roll the log to finish the cut. What you actually do is make many cuts before rolling the log. Much easier than the timberjack.

Backwoods Savage said:
I have one that I'll give away. It is the most useless tool I have. I tried and tried the thing and it does work but is more of a pain in the rear than anything. What works better for me is to make a cut in the log (about 3/4 down) then using a cant hook, roll the log to finish the cut. What you actually do is make many cuts before rolling the log. Much easier than the timberjack.

I will take that timberjack?

Jay, I get down that way once in a while and I'll gladly drop it off for you. If nothing else, you will get a good handle for your other cant hook.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, I get down that way once in a while and I'll gladly drop it off for you. If nothing else, you will get a good handle for your other cant hook.

lol I am pretty good with the one I have and going to be putting logs up on a stand to mill so I need 2.

+1 on the Logrite. Best built hand tool I own probably. I have the 4' cant hook with timber stand. I like using the timber stand, but I do wish it was easier to remove (i.e. a clevis pin and ring) so I could take it off when I'm not going to use it.

NP

As others have said, as a cant hook they are fine. As a timber jack they are useless. If you want a really good cant hook purchase a Logrite. John_M

I prefer the peavy great tool to have really saves the back. Don't have the stand. Wouldn't use it if I did.

I have the Peavey Timber Jack. I took the stand off after the second time I used it. Now it is pretty much a Cant Hook. I use the cut about 3/4 of the way through and roll method too.

I used one of the NH timberjacks with the fixed stand, hated it. Causes the log to roll as you lift, and if there are any branches it couldn't roll the log and didn't work. so I modified my cant hook to have a pivoting foot. That work pretty well, but about teh only time I use it that way is to lift something and throw cribbing under it. I posted pics somewhere here in the past.

mostly, cut through and roll it and finish.

I would not be without the cant hook though, they are amazing tools.

kevin j said:
I would not be without the cant hook though, they are amazing tools.

Yup

I recently bought the 60 inch Cant Hook from Logrite. I agree with others, its extremely well built and actually Made in USA! It's already paid for itself by taking the strain off my back. I hurt my back moving some big logs a couple months before I bought this tool, then thanks to a tip from Dennis (Backwoods Savage) I got the Cant Hook. This thing could lift a small car! I'm not sure why anyone would buy one of the shorter versions, seems if you need this tool to move heavy things, you want all the leverage you can get.

I use the cant hook everytime I cut. I wouldn't go into the woods without it. I've never used one with a stand.....never saw the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.