1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any online stores to buy sooteaters in Canada?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Swedishchef, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey guys

Nobody in my local area can get me a sooteater. Anybody know where I can get one online and sent to Canada (within 4 weeks??)??

Thanks a ton

ANdrew

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    eBay Canada lists a bunch of them. They all originate in the US, but will ship to Canada. Go to eBay.ca & search "sooteater". Rick
  3. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    tks Rick. I will give ebay a try. It's been a while since I have shopped there. amazon normally do the trick but the company that sells sooteaters on their website take 3-4 weeks to ship the item..who knows when I would get it!

Andrew
  4. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    How about Ace Hardware? I've bought stuff off their website & they were pretty quick...but I have no idea if that's an option for you. Rick
  5. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    There are Ace franchises up here and I would check to see if that works for you. I personally hate the delays that sometimes happen when customs get involved and there is occasionally the nasty ding from duty. And shipping. And handling.
  6. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    There is an Ace hardware not too far away. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

The Ebay prices are nuts. $120 for the sooteater and $35 shipping with NO estimates for duties, etc. Aahhhhhhh...pros and cons to Canada!

Andrew
    Realstone likes this.
  7. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Yeah, I knew eBay was probly a crap-shoot (rip-off). You can preview Ace and maybe even take a printed page with you. I've found my local Ace to be very accommodating in ordering items for me...things shown on the website but not found on their shelves...they got them into the store within just a few days.

www.acehardware.com/
  8. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    But I don't even see the Sooteater on the .com website or the .ca website.

Maybe this is a sign from the toothfairy to just get my ass on the roof and use a typical brush setup...

Andrew
  9. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
  10. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Maybe a call to head office for a special order? Let them know you are a member here and there may be repeat business depending on your experience.
  11. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I tried homehardware today and they said they (Homehardware) have stopped keeping it in stock. Meh. Gotta try the Ace hardware store nextw eek. Something tells me I am gonna just go on the roof with my ladder and try to get it done..
    A
  12. colin.p

colin.p Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ottawa Canada
    I've been seriously thinking about getting one as well. Even though I have a 6 inch brush and fiberglass rods to clean the chimney, I have two 45 degree corners to go around the eves and the rods have a tough time bending well enough. I did notice Home Hardware lists them so I might order a Sooteater and have it for next year. If not, hopefully someone up here will start to carry them.
  13. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey Collin

I don't want to bust your bubble but my HomeHardware said that HH no longer carries the product. They were able to look it up but it said something along the lines of "discontinued".

Let me know what your plan B is...

Andrew
  14. CaddyUser

CaddyUser Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Canadian tire, item 64-4209-0. Should be able to check www.canadiantire.ca or visit your local store.

Hope this helps!
    Realstone likes this.
  15. Pavesa

Pavesa Member

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Hi

I live in Canada and just bought one from Smarthome - they ship to Canada - shipping $18.60 and costs $50 or so. I found that Amazon.ca has sooteaters but costs about $150 with tax and shipping - no tax or duty charged to me by buying from Smarthome

http://www.smarthome.com

Pavesa
  16. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Sweeeeet chicken! Thanks a lot guys...I will get one from CT (at least make sure they can get me one.) If not, I will get one from Smart home. Thanks a ton guys!

Andrew
  17. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Happy Thanksgiving to all our friends to the North. :cool:
    FireBones and Realstone like this.
  18. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks buddy..same to you! I had my 13 pound grain fed turkey with the little family and a couple of single friends...good times!

A
  19. rwhite

rwhite Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Idaho
    Amazon is your friend! Local Ace was $80 something, ebay was about on par. Amazon was $55 shipped. Took 2 weeks but it was worth it.
  20. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Oh to be in America, land of the free and home of the moneysavers! Wages are about on par both sides of the border, but you guys really get some sharp deals.
  21. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I agree Realstone... LOL. Pros and Cons both ways I guess.
  22. Pavesa

Pavesa Member

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes. Definite "con" on the prices here but I'm from England and whadyasay at gas prices at $2.40 a liter ($9.10 a US gallon)?

I'd be interested to know if CT have stooteaters I know our local home hardware doesn't.

Pavesa
  23. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Pavesa: if they do not have any in stock they will order you one. You can check online and search to see if any are in stock at your local CT. When on their website, search "Chimney CLeaning System".

Where in NS do you live? I have lots of friends throughout the province.

Andrew
  24. rwhite

rwhite Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Idaho
    Won't Amazon ship to Canada? It was through Amazon but the store was Ideal True VAlue in Crossett Arkansas.
  25. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON