any opinions on this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if the numbers are right it works out to about $260/cord. Not sure what a cord goes for where you're at. If it really is dry, I suppose you could do worse. Kiln dried isn't necessarily dry, it's cooked to kill the bugs to allow for transport. Maybe that explains the mold? And those splits are really small. I'd think about one pallet to try.

Are there any Eco bricks or similar around you?

I dunno if I'd be comfortable burning mold...I may be weird though. :)

jeff_t said:
Well, if the numbers are right it works out to about $260/cord. Not sure what a cord goes for where you're at. If it really is dry, I suppose you could do worse. Kiln dried isn't necessarily dry, it's cooked to kill the bugs to allow for transport. Maybe that explains the mold? And those splits are really small. I'd think about one pallet to try.

Are there any Eco bricks or similar around you?

I was thinking that two pallets would be equal to about a cord. I tried ecobricks over the past week and liked them very much but they are not very cost effective. I have a dealer that sells woodbrick fuel for 285$ a skid but that is also pricey.

mfglickman said:

The add says that some of them may have mold on them. I have not actually seen the wood in person. I am not too worried about burning mold since allot of my wood grew some form of mold or fungus on it over the wet summer.

mfglickman said:

After all the late summer and fall rain, I've been burning a lot of fungus and 'shrooms. I probably wouldn't leave moldy stuff sitting in my living room.

In thinking more about it, if you're gonna do it, do it. I'm sure some gas station/convenience store/campground owner will snap them up and sell them for$5.99, mold or not.

rwhite said:
65 bundles at .75 ft3 each = 48.75 ft3. Divide by 128= .38 so a bit more than 1/3 cord.

I was thinking that the .75 ft3 might possibly be the actual volume of wood not including air space. This is not a typical situation. It appears that this wood was packaged to sell commercially so if it a package says it is .75 ft3 that could be the actual wood volume or maybe not. If that is actual wood volume and you then throw air space into the equation then each one of these skids could be a half cord. Judging by the picture I would say one skid would be about a half cord but then again pictures can be deceiving.

This time of year if you need dry wood, this or pallets my be the only game in town. We're almost into march so one pallet may do you for the rest of the season. Biobricks may be another way but I don't know how they compare pricewise.

Somebody here at Hearth.com bought similar wood last season, or maybe the year before. It was the same deal. Pallets of kilm dried from overseas sold at discount due to mold. Does anybody else here remember that thread? I think the guy who bought it was happy with it.

Here it is. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51938/

Isn't there anyone in your area that sells firewood? They are a dime a dozen in our area, and it is usually more realistic that that price (a FULL CORD for around $120.00 to $180.00). Heck when I have an overrun of dead stuff (standing barkless dead wood) that I cut from several properties, I sell it for around 80 bucks a truckload SPLIT....look in your local yellow pages and in local classified ads. Get your wood at a minimum 1 year in advance so you don't have this problem again...

It won't hurt burning the mold but because it has mold, that tell you immediately that the wood was not dried. It won't burn worth a hoot is my bet.

What size logs are you burning? I may be able to help you out.

Scotty Overkill said:
Isn't there anyone in your area that sells firewood? They are a dime a dozen in our area, and it is usually more realistic that that price (a FULL CORD for around $120.00 to $180.00). Heck when I have an overrun of dead stuff (standing barkless dead wood) that I cut from several properties, I sell it for around 80 bucks a truckload SPLIT....look in your local yellow pages and in local classified ads. Get your wood at a minimum 1 year in advance so you don't have this problem again...

Yes there are plenty of people in my area selling firewood. Seasoned wood most likely not. I have about two years worth of split stacked wood but it is not ready yet. This was my first year burning so I had to learn the hard way that most dealers wood is not actually ready to burn even if they say it is. I learned my lesson and I will be ready for next year and the fallowing. I have lots of ash that will be ready for 2012/2013.

mywaynow said:
What size logs are you burning? I may be able to help you out.

I went out back today and looked at what appeared to be my dryest wood. I split individual pieces in half one by one and peged them with my moisture meter. Surpisingly 75% of them were under 20% on the meter. The ones over 20% I put back to season another year. The ones under 20% I have sitting on my covered front porch waiting to be burned. So it appears I do have enough dry wood to get me through. Thank you though for any help you were going to offer. I burn splits beetween 16 and 18 inches long. If you sell firewood or know anyone good that does in Warren county NJ please let me know.

Flatbedford said:
Somebody here at Hearth.com bought similar wood last season, or maybe the year before. It was the same deal. Pallets of kilm dried from overseas sold at discount due to mold. Does anybody else here remember that thread? I think the guy who bought it was happy with it.

Here it is. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51938/

I remember that from a few years back. I found the listing on eBay and put it up here. I think the guy got a decent price break ordering a truckload and was happy with the burn.
I think the wood got wet on the boat during delivery. Was supposed to go to home depot.

Backwoods Savage said:
It won't hurt burning the mold but because it has mold, that tell you immediately that the wood was not dried. It won't burn worth a hoot is my bet.

+1

The advert does not say "kiln dried" anywhere in it either that I could see.

Looking at the picture...that is definitely the "Simple Simon" fire wood. My local grocery store sells it.
They have it on a pallet right inside the store. Funny thing is the other day I walked past it and stopped to look at it because it looked funky....I mean FUNKADELIC.....it was friggin green (in color)..I thought it was covered with moss and itI was 5.99 a bundle...now I am curious as hell to see if will burn...I may experiment... :cheese:
The wood in the pic looks pretty good compared to the stuff I saw in the store.

We sell some where I work and picked up a couple of split open packages for a few bucks. I took them home and split one open and it was wet. It was of course oak and far from seasoned. So, it is on the 2013-2014 pile now.

Status
Not open for further replies.