Any other big splitters out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built an electric log splitter and a gas log splitter and have a manual log maul. The gas splitter was made so I can put a larger splitter on the ground and split 40inch or bigger logs in half (I got two 7inch cylinders for that).

Any one else build themselves a sweet splitter or seen one?

Small maul.jpg electric splitter.jpg electric splitter 1.jpg gas splitter3.jpg gas splitter1.jpg

Theres some guys on here...some DIYers.
We had a homemade splitter on the farm when I was younger, it blew exhaust fumes right in your face as you were standing at the helm. Couldnt avoid the fumes if you wanted to reach the controllers. You'd be higher than a Lenox Avenue Fish Fry by the time you split a cord of wood.
I see you have an adequate exhaust system. ☆☆☆☆

The steel looks fatigued on the push plates. Does it run?
Does it run in the cold?
Do you need ether?
It looks non-girly.

The push plate is 1 inch thick plate and I wrapped the beam (boxed the beam) 360 degrees with channel iron and 'I' beam underneath. I split wood that twists the push plates and learned - box in the push plate around the beam. It runs good, it has a tank heater on the engine. Just have to let it warm up awhile for the hydraulic oil but when it is that cold out, I use the electric splitter in my shop. The bent piece in the picture is not the contact part with the wood.
gas splitter5.jpg

Reactions: Applesister
For a single cutting edge I can't even imagine the need for a cylinder larger than 5" in diameter. I deal with some pretty big and ugly stuff and my DIY unit handles them admirably.
100_1548sm.jpg

There are some scrap pieces at work I've been eyeing... A 6" cylinder from a dump body, a hydraulic pump, a bank of hydraulic valves, a pile of scrap steel, a 5 HP motor... All the pieces are there. Just need to find some time.

a hydraulic pump,
Just take note of what the stuff is. Most pumps for the applications you mentioned are not two stage pumps and require big HP to pull to any typical log splitter pressure.

Just take note of what the stuff is. Most pumps for the applications you mentioned are not two stage pumps and require big HP to pull to any typical log splitter pressure.
I see. This is a pump off a 7 yard dump/plow truck. So, you're saying a 5 HP engine may not be enough to operate this pump? It makes sense. I hadn't really thought of it.

I see. This is a pump off a 7 yard dump/plow truck. So, you're saying a 5 HP engine may not be enough to operate this pump? It makes sense. I hadn't really thought of it.
Highly likely that it falls into one of two categories...
1. It is a single stage with too small of a displacement to be of use on a splitter (read: really slow)
2. It is a single stage with a large enough displacement that to pull typical splitter pressure (~2500-2700 psi) will require much more HP than you are gonna want to run for a splitter.

There is a reason that splitters almost exclusively use two stage pumps. Small HP with relatively high volume till it really needs to push and then kicking down to a 2 to 4 gpm pump so the little engine doesn't puke on itself.

Reactions: barmstrong2
Status
Not open for further replies.