Any other guys out there like to go to the maul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willworkforwood

Feeling the Heat
Jan 20, 2009
Central Ma
I spend most of my time in the Boiler room, but also stop by to hear good stories from the wood guys. After reading the thread about the Fiskars axe, I'm looking to see if anyone else out there is a maul guy. This is in no way being critical of anything in that thread. All of us who do firewood know how much work it is, and anyone doing this stuff has my respect, no matter how they do it. I rushed a boiler in late last year, and needed to get a year ahead, starting this Spring. So, everything I do is geared to processing as much wood as fast as I can (except that a wood hauler is not in the budget). So the way I work is drop and buck a tree to splitting size, section rounds that are too big to lift, wheelbarrow everything to the spot where I'm currently stacking, and dump the load there on the ground. I don't want to spend time picking anything up and setting it on a block - so they just get tipped up next to a neighbor, and get split where they sit. Most of the time I get multiple splits without resetting - often the whole thing gets split without touching it again. Now, of course I'm a bit heavy sometimes, and the maul grounds. But after striking the ground, oh let's say 5000 times, my maul has one tiny nick that I haven't even bothered filing - it seems like it would take 100 years to hurt the thing. I use only about 18 to 24 inches of the handle 99% of the time, and the 8 lb maul feels like a scalpel to me - right hand under the head, sliding down on the stroke makes it effortless. I'm not a lumberjack - 5'8", 150 lb and 61 years old, but working this way with the maul gets me a lot of wood processed in a hurry. Now I've never used a splitting axe, but don't think that grounding is an acceptable way to use this type of tool. But if I ever get the opportunity I'll try one, just to see how they go (but not on the ground) - they sound like fun.
Anyone else out there process wood this way with a maul? (sounds like a Twilight Zone episode - is anyone else out there like me?).

I use a 8# maul almost exclusively, processed almost 10 cords with it this year. Of course im splitting various pine, 8 to 18 inches in diameter, 18 in long. And yep, just stack all the rounds on the ground, one next to the other, and they hold each other up! every now and again you get that stringy notty piece, thats where the 3 1/2 single bit michigan comes in handy. Next year will be a buying a splitter year however, as a recent rotator cuff injury has really slowed things down!

I also use an 8# maul. It's a good workout and I'm too cheap to get a splitter. I have a 4# axe that works well for small splits.

I use a nice light weight maul to split all my firewood.

I have never used a splitter. Use an 8lb maul from Home Despot. Split 2-3 cords per year.

My wife gave me this really nice (and expensive) Gransfors Bruks splitting axe that is about 4#, nice feel to it and great for smaller rounds, but I've gone back to mostly using the old 8#er. Like you, I split 'em where they lay and the maul spends a lot of time in the dirt. Need the weight for the wedge, too. The nice one is just too nice to abuse, and therefore I rarely use it. Just like the "living" room some folks refuse to live in so it won't get dirty. (Can't happen here, we'd have to clean it first.)
I should probably remove the GB from my signature and put in "Eight Pound Ace Hardware Maul w/ the Cheapest Hickory Replacement Handle I Could Find".

I use an 8 pound maul exclusively - but I call it the Great Hammer of Doom - it works better that way.

I use both a maul and a hydraulic splitter. I have 2 6# mauls one is kind of an economy version and the other has a blade somewhat like an axe but bulks up fast to maul size at the handle. When I run into gnarlies that don't respond well to the splitting maul or the standard 8# maul and wedges I use the hyd. splitter. Normally speaking I can go anywhere in the woods with the hand held maul and obviously the hydraulics take another approach. I had vertigo last year and lost 7 months of work and couldn't use a hand held maul for about 5 months so I used the hyd. one once I was able to start moving around. Took about 2 months to split 3 full cord.

I tried a maul once and was convinced it was a creation from Hell.

still using the 8# maul, but after checking out the Fiskars at the hardware store, I may have to buy a new toy.

I've had my #8 maul for 25+ years and I loved it--------until 3 weeks ago when I got my Fiskars Super Splitting Axe!!

I'll keep the maul around just in case, but the Fiskars is AMAZING!!!!

NP

willworkforwood said:
I spend most of my time in the Boiler room, but also stop by to hear good stories from the wood guys. After reading the thread about the Fiskars axe, I'm looking to see if anyone else out there is a maul guy. This is in no way being critical of anything in that thread. All of us who do firewood know how much work it is, and anyone doing this stuff has my respect, no matter how they do it. I rushed a boiler in late last year, and needed to get a year ahead, starting this Spring. So, everything I do is geared to processing as much wood as fast as I can (except that a wood hauler is not in the budget). So the way I work is drop and buck a tree to splitting size, section rounds that are too big to lift, wheelbarrow everything to the spot where I'm currently stacking, and dump the load there on the ground. I don't want to spend time picking anything up and setting it on a block - so they just get tipped up next to a neighbor, and get split where they sit. Most of the time I get multiple splits without resetting - often the whole thing gets split without touching it again. Now, of course I'm a bit heavy sometimes, and the maul grounds. But after striking the ground, oh let's say 5000 times, my maul has one tiny nick that I haven't even bothered filing - it seems like it would take 100 years to hurt the thing. I use only about 18 to 24 inches of the handle 99% of the time, and the 8 lb maul feels like a scalpel to me - right hand under the head, sliding down on the stroke makes it effortless. I'm not a lumberjack - 5'8", 150 lb and 61 years old, but working this way with the maul gets me a lot of wood processed in a hurry. Now I've never used a splitting axe, but don't think that grounding is an acceptable way to use this type of tool. But if I ever get the opportunity I'll try one, just to see how they go (but not on the ground) - they sound like fun.
Anyone else out there process wood this way with a maul? (sounds like a Twilight Zone episode - is anyone else out there like me?).

I was a 6lb maul guy for 20+ years. . . before I switched to the 2.25lb Fiskars Pro Splitting Ax.

Eff splitting mauls.

I have a power splitter but also have a chopper 1 or LeChopper axe from the 80's. Beats the maul hands down...I can only asume that the fiskars is similiar. Like anything, you can get it done with a variety of tools, but with the right tool it goes much quicker and easier...

As I posted in one of the Fiskars Advertising threads: I’ve been pounding away with a 6# maul for 40 years, same maul head for 30, and the same handle for 25. It’s always worked well for me, one reason why I’m reluctant to change now.

The Fiskars people will all tell you you're crazy, but I understand you. And I won't try to convert you one way or the other. Heck, I'd like to take a swing with a Fiskars myself, but I won't buy one until I've tried one, maybe. Especially now, after seeing how much a Fiskars needs to be promoted. Sounds kind of fishy to me, but I'm still willing to test one.

Don't sharpen your maul. Dull is good:
IMG_3957.jpg

quads said:
As I posted in one of the Fiskars Advertising threads: I’ve been pounding away with a 6# maul for 40 years, same maul head for 30, and the same handle for 25. It’s always worked well for me, one reason why I’m reluctant to change now.

The Fiskars people will all tell you you're crazy, but I understand you. And I won't try to convert you one way or the other. Heck, I'd like to take a swing with a Fiskars myself, but I won't buy one until I've tried one, maybe. Especially now, after seeing how much a Fiskars needs to be promoted. Sounds kind of fishy to me, but I'm still willing to test one.

Don't sharpen your maul. Dull is good:
IMG_3957.jpg

I don't think the Fiskars needs promoting, It promotes itself after the first time you use it!! I have never touched my old school maul since I have bought my Fiskars, I no longer use my cousins 31 ton hydraulic splitter either as I can split as fast or faster than it using my Fiskars...

Nonprophet said:
I've had my #8 maul for 25+ years and I loved it--------until 3 weeks ago when I got my Fiskars Super Splitting Axe!!

I'll keep the maul around just in case, but the Fiskars is AMAZING!!!!

NP

Same here, I used an 8 .lb maul for years. Last year my wife got me Fiskars super splitter and I haven't picked up the 8 .lb maul since.

I've always used a maul. Don't care if it's 6 or 8 lbs. I like my long handle - that's what would keeps me from expecting a Fiskars would work for me. That, and I'm happy with what I've got, and don't want to spend another $40+.
Dad's 72 and he's still swinging the maul - I'm destined to follow in his footsteps, I guess. (Although some improvements, like the internet and cell phones, aren't on his horizen, but are are already in my world....)
Happy swinging!

I have a Fiskars and a 6# maul. I rarely use the maul anymore. If I get a round that the Fiskars cant get through after a couple whacks, I set it aside for the day I borrow or rent a splitter (maybe once/yr). Beating up a round and getting no where slows production down and beats the heck out of me.... getting smarter as I get older.

I have a 8# home depot maul for 12+ years and bought a fiskars 4.5# last year then bought a huskee 22 ton splitter this summer.
I used the splitter to split 8-9 cords for my dad in the last month.
I like the maul for me, the fiskars works well but I do not like the shorter handle. I use it on smaller pieces, and I worry about hitting the ground with it. With the maul I split right on the ground, it is dull as hell and works better that way. If I am scrounging and bring home a PU load of rounds I plan on using the maul. If I get a few cords of rounds or logs I plan on using the splitter. I like the workout from the maul. I do not swing it all day I bust up a few each day and it gets done.

Got Wood said:
I have a Fiskars and a 6# maul. I rarely use the maul anymore. If I get a round that the Fiskars cant get through after a couple whacks, I set it aside for the day I borrow or rent a splitter (maybe once/yr). Beating up a round and getting no where slows production down and beats the heck out of me.... getting smarter as I get older.
I hear you! I run into about two or three of those a year. Only difference here is that the ones I encounter are left in the woods to rot. Once in awhile I come across an abandoned one from years gone by; I shake my first at it, maybe utter a swear or two, then laugh at it rotting away out there all by itself.

If my wife is splitting with me I have to use the monster maul and she gets the 8# maul. I like the 8# much more than the monster maul. Sometimes I will split the rounds right where they lay or if the ground is soft I will put them on top of another round. I will also use a tire around them on the ground at times.

I was eying my neighbors splitter last season and he said in your 30s you don't care, in your 40s you start wanting one and in your 50s you buy one. I am in my early 40s so I guess I have a lot of splitting by hand left to do.

Just like you Firestarter-

Cut to length, stand em' up and hit 'm with the 8 pounder. Simple ,cheap and efficient.

Maybe I'll need a fancier tool when I'm older.

Of course I'm 59 now, when I'm older I may not split at all.

I have a Fiskar's Pro Splitting Ax and an 8 lb maul, and almost all the time I use the maul. I like the heavier weight to get through larger rounds. THe Fiskars is OK, but doesn't go through rounds as well as the maul, in my experience. I put the roudns I am going to split up on a block - a large diameter, short round. Yeah, it is more work, but I think they split better, especially when the ground is soft.

I used to split everything with an 8lb maul but picked up a used splitter this year since I had rotator cuff surgery kast year. Never could get used to an ax .

I have a six pound and an eight pound maul. Both have been leaning against the hydraulic splitter since I bought it in 1988. They get picked up maybe once a hear each. To move the splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.