Any Other Kraut Makers Out There?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AP - warning you...good kraut gets addictive. We do 100 pounds of cabbage at a time (2 big gunny sacks).

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
My uncle makes kraut in a big 20ish gallon crock. It is gooooood.

Hearth Mistress,

Have you looked at the salt and water ratios in those many Kim chi recipes I've read a few on line and they appear to be fairly strong brines. But I don't know which recipes you were looking at.

You might be on to something there...;)
I have seen wood ones with holes on the Lehmans website that fit in the crocks but they absorb water and either get wedged in there from expanding or actually break the crocks. I use terra cota plant saucers, works like a charm :)

WoodCrockBoards.jpg

Hearth Mistress,

Have you looked at the salt and water ratios in those many Kim chi recipes I've read a few on line and they appear to be fairly strong brines. But I don't know which recipes you were looking at.
It wasn't the strength of the brines it was the variations of the salt to water ratio. I have crocks and jars fermenting and sprouting stuff all over my house and each one varies slightly on whatever it is you are doing, based on the length of time, what it is etc. When I see variations with the same amount of ingredients but different salt/water ratios, it is a red flag to me. I didnt look all too hard but the few I looked at were no where near each other. From a few tbsp to over a cup for the same amout of cabbage.

AP - warning you...good kraut gets addictive. We do 100 pounds of cabbage at a time (2 big gunny sacks).
Not only is it addictive, but word will spread you made Kraut and jars will show up on your door step with "REFILL PLEASE" notes - and I live in the sticks :)

Reactions: Jags
It wasn't the strength of the brines it was the variations of the salt to water ratio. I have crocks and jars fermenting and sprouting stuff all over my house and each one varies slightly on whatever it is you are doing, based on the length of time, what it is etc. When I see variations with the same amount of ingredients but different salt/water ratios, it is a red flag to me. I didnt look all too hard but the few I looked at were no where near each other. From a few tbsp to over a cup for the same amout of cabbage.

The variation in the salt to water ratios is variation in the strength of the brines there is a lower limit on what will allow a safe fermentation of vegetables to occur and not require other things to also be required. Below that limit you really need to factor in PH and the need for processing. Much above that limit and you need to post process the results or it is way too salty or the fermentation will not even take place.

ETA: I do two fermented pickles and one fermented relish so I understand your concern. I'd do some Kraut and Kimchi if I wasn't the only one that liked it, I even have my Grandmother's crocks.

ETA2: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...PRhsTS&sig=AHIEtbSTmcWZJp-Vcmlz4JWWqA2CNuIi0Q

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
If I were closer I'd come raid the kiln! That is AWESOME! I just canned my kraut last weekend, the same batch I started when I posted this thread, 10 weeks ago, the longest I've ever let it go. It was so good we were eating it right from the crock. 38 raw packed pint jars, but won't last all that long around here, will do another 90# in October.

Those handles will be your friend. Mine are both cracked so I put it on a round planter dolly to move it around :)

That thing looks cool. While you are at it, make a saucer to fit inside with a bit of side clearance. Make it thick enough and you won't even need external weight. ;)

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
That thing looks cool. While you are at it, make a saucer to fit inside with a bit of side clearance. Make it thick enough and you won't even need external weight. ;)
Already done did dat. I'm giving it a long time to dry without cracking (it's thick)

That will be a great help. I use a terra cotta plant saucer and a quart jar of water to weigh mine down. I just put a few layers of cheese cloth over it and use bungee cords around the top rim to pull the cloth taunt around it to keep the jar pushing down on the saucer.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.