Any pellet stoves with outlet pipe close to the floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsflynn603

Jun 11, 2011
SW New Hampshire
I've an apartment house and am living in one unit, about 1100SF.

I've only two available walls. One wall has a double tempered fixed thermopane, which together is about 4'x6',
but there is only 11" from the base of the fixed window to the floor.

I've another open wall that leads to an open porch. But I've heard that pellet stoves are forbiddin since a stupid person could enclose the porch.

So back to the double fixed glass windows. If there's a stove with the exhaust pipe C/L 8" or so from the floor then it seems this would work.

Do any stoves with close to the floor exhaust pipes exist?

My harman exhaust pipe is 8"off the floor .

Mine vents out the back of the stove at 8" above the floor and vents out the wall at 17". (I have a hot water baseboard in the way)

Reactions: Lousyweather
A belated thank you to both of you. Assuming the 8" is the centerline than I think I can install one.

Now--what kind, how to install, etc.... but this is not the place to ask.

Btw... are the stoves in your signature the 8" in one, if not might you please tell me which stove you have that has such a low outlet?

NONE of the current P series Harmans are lower than 10" to center. The brochure specs are incorrect. Some dealers may have the lower versions. My 2012 P38 is 9"

nope.....no lower versions......all the P series are the same height, and always have been

I just measured mine instead of using specs from manual, it's closer to 9" I forgot to account for the floor protection that the stove sits on:oops:

nope.....no lower versions......all the P series are the same height, and always have been
Nope. Recent re-design. ETA-The bases on all 61 and smaller P series have changed to the P68 style.
IMG_20131012_145801_777.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's probably not the most attractive option, but could you run vent pipe in front of the window and then exit above it? I believe 12" is the recommended clearance for a fixed window, so you might need another short rise on the outside.
Any issues with that setup (other than the aesthetics)?

I know it's probably not the most attractive option, but could you run vent pipe in front of the window and then exit above it? I believe 12" is the recommended clearance for a fixed window, so you might need another short rise on the outside.
Any issues with that setup (other than the aesthetics)?

Nope, the window is a dual pane, tempered, fixed unit, each lite is ~2' x 5' 3", so there is only about 8" at the top, further there is a second story window that opens above that.

Putting aesthetics aside I could run a pipe to the left of the window and then visibly across, in front of the window (to get 48" away from an opening window) and then vertically if necessary in front of the space between the two lights.

Too bad I couldn't outlet it to an open porch but I realize that is not allowed. I could outlet in to the porch, the run about 4' beyond the porch rail and then use a 45 degree and run away from the window that opens. But I suspect this would be forbidden and it would also have to be 48" from the open area of the porch.

Anyone know any good consultant/installer around Keene, NH?

Or a good book? Title: Everything that anyone would want to know about pellets stove installation (including several hundred installation photos and plot plans)?

Hmm...I didn't think so.

I measured 9" to the top of my stove's exhaust. 7" on center with a 4" pipe.

Reactions: will711
Too bad I couldn't outlet it to an open porch but I realize that is not allowed. I could outlet in to the porch, the run about 4' beyond the porch rail and then use a 45 degree and run away from the window that opens. But I suspect this would be forbidden and it would also have to be 48" from the open area of the porch.

one thing to check before you buy, long horizontal runs are taboo with pellet stoves, make certain the stove can handle a run of that length before you buy. its very important! ESW units only give allowance for a 4' horizontal, others may as well.

understand that the dynamics of venting matter , a horizontal run has no "convective" help, and the exhaust blower must be able to "push" that air fast enough to maintain a good fire.

make sure the stove is capable of running properly with the horizontal run you are looking at. could save some headaches after the installation!

Thank you stoveguy2esw, if for instance a person wanted 8' of horizontal run, wouldn't a 4 or 5' vertical run compensate?

EstMtn, your stove with a c/l of 7" would work fine for me--pray tell--what stove is it?

Thanks

if for instance a person wanted 8' of horizontal run, wouldn't a 4 or 5' vertical run compensate?

would really depend on the stove's capability to move air, i cannot speak for any brands other than my own, so it really falls to them to give good info on their products. i would caution though that long of a horizontal in most stoves will detract from performance and may not run properly due to the compremised airflow.

EstMtn, your stove with a c/l of 7" would work fine for me--pray tell--what stove is it?

Thanks

Piazzetta Sveva. The vacuum cleanout on my exhaust clears the floor by a few inches. Just enough to attach a vacuum nozzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.