1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any pics of homemade fire tending tools?

Post in 'The Gear' started by wahoowad, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I weld and relish the thought of throwing away my el-cheapo fireplace tools and making my own tools for my wood stove. I know I need an ash rake, and maybe a log poker or tongs? Anybody have any pics or links to homemade tools? I have lots of rebar and thought I could make something useful out of them besides a log holder.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I made a poker for my boiler last winter out of a piece of rebar (poked into the coal until it was red hot and then bent over), but it didn't survive the summer. I needed a piece of rebar to prop up my wife's clothesline (don't ask), so now it's embedded in concrete about a foot underground. Found an old coal poker in the basement that works just as well.

I agree with Dylan that the best tools are the ones you make or modify yourself.
  3. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I asked you not to ask.

I don't go near it except to fix it, so I guess it's "hers."
  4. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    well, looks like I am not going to get any pics of tools. How about a pic of the clothesline?
  5. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I would, but I don't think it meets code, and I don't want elkimmeg on my case.
  6. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Hey George, let me know next time you pop the cork on a bottle of wine with that thing.
  7. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    George,

That can opener looks like it could take the top off a petroleum storage tank. Hmmm... Are you selling those? :)

Mo Heat
  8. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Sorry Wahoowad, but right now I'm using store bought stuff. I did get the best possible set I could afford though, by waiting for a sale. For a store bought set it's pretty sturdy. Had a problem early on with the ash shovel handle loosening off, but some Loctite fixed it. I have some home made tools out at my camp and I'm heading out there tommorrow, so I'll try and remember to take a few shots. Most of it is the bent re-bar variety, but there are a couple of interesting pieces.

BTW, I seem to recall back when the new forum first got going, someone had a shot of a real neat ash removal tool that was like a steel dust pan with a lid. Was that you, Mo?

Willhound
  9. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Wahoowad

As promised, I took my camera with me to my camp this morning, but after looking at the sorry assortment of homemade pokers and ash shovels, I felt that most of them didn't warrant a picture, except for this one poker.

This was built by my brother's friend back in high school shop class. I have used it, and it works OK, except it really needs a hook on the end. Since I have an assorment of bent rebar pokers, I thought it best not to ruin this, so I painted it and now it hangs by the stove as a conversation piece. (Most of the conversation is from my wife, saying "Get rid of this junk")

On a useful note, the curved hand guard really does a good job of deflecting the heat from your hands if you're not wearing gloves.

Willhound

Attached Files:

10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I've had this tool forever. It is my dedicated poker. It's made from stout 5/16" steel rod about 29" long, and flattened at the tip. I love it because I can poke, hook and move hot logs easily, while staying a safe distance from the hot edges of the stove.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.