Any problem with building a vertical wood stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodleheadmikey

Feb 20, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Whenever people build cylindrical stoves they always seem to be horizontal. Is there any good reason for this? I would like to build one from a water heater but leave it standing upright so as to have a smaller footprint. Does anyone know of a reason not to use the heater upright?

PHM
------

Most of the old stoves were vertical. As a young lad, our house was heated by two stoves and both were vertical. We didn't seem to have any problems.

Seen someEuropean stoves like that as well. They're usually not very big though. I would think a big load might be difficult to control? Maybe?

Jeff, we had no control problems with the old stoves, but they definitely had to have a pipe damper.

Godin still makes vertical stoves in the classic and in contemporary style. Many new European stoves are also essentially vertical burners. Like this Rais for example.

Attachments

• Petit_Godin.jpg
    Petit_Godin.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,692
  • Petit_Godin_contemporary.jpg
    Petit_Godin_contemporary.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 3,189
  • Rais Rondo.jpg
    Rais Rondo.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 7,338
I wonder how close to size a Warm Morning would be? A 523 is a pretty serious (100 lb) heater. Cast iron top and base might be a reasonably close fit to a water heater cylinder.

Not sure if you are serious . . . or are just thinking about building one for fun . . . but like the other poster I would be a bit concerned with the gauge of the hot water tank, insurance, etc.

Backwoods Savage said:
Most of the old stoves were vertical. As a young lad, our house was heated by two stoves and both were vertical. We didn't seem to have any problems.

Interesting! Did you sit on a milk crate while loading it? Starting to see a pattern here!

:cheese:

Ray

Yes; I am serious. I already have the water heater. Although I am now thinking about using a smaller water heater as the steel-tubes wood stove I built last year puts out Way too much heat.

I will check when cutting but I picture water heaters to be about 10 gauge steel. Which is much heavier than the 55 gallon drums people (not me <g>) build those "barrel stoves" out of.

PHM
-----

firefighterjake said:
Not sure if you are serious . . . or are just thinking about building one for fun . . . but like the other poster I would be a bit concerned with the gauge of the hot water tank, insurance, etc.

We had a vertical boiler growing up I would say it almost burned as good if not better than horizantal stoves.

Pete

I will buy the one you have that puts off too much heat. Would you be willing to trade for an old pressure tank.

All my life-safety considerations are serious.

The vertical wood stove would be built and installed in my cellar.

Water heaters aren't galvanized and I wouldn't use one if they were as welding galvanized puts out some kind of nasty fumes.

I am stuck with a 6" flue pipe as that is the size chimney liner I just installed. Or smaller I guess.

I had started out with the idea of using an electric water heater tank but just now I'm thinking that a gas unit would be better as I could re-use the central flue pipe as a top-down air inlet pipe. To supply combustion air to the bottom of the fire box.

Although . . . I do want to use an 'inserted' flue pipe to create a heat-chamber at the top of the stove body - above the actual exit point of the wood smoke. So maybe I could re-use the existing central flue pipe of a gas water heater for both: leave a 12" stub sticking down at the top and also leave a 2" stub sticking up at the bottom. And then just take the combustion air in at the center bottom.

Your construction opinions?

PHM
------

greenteam said:
I think I would make some serious life safety considerations. What gage metal is the tank? is it galvanized metal, if unlisted unlabeled, should you need to file an insurance claim
would it be covered? Engineering would govern what size chimney is required? Is it going in your home or an out building like a shed?. Lots of things to consider but most important your own and your family's life and safety

Why don't you come by and see it in action if you're not too far away? I'm about 20 minutes southeast of Philadelphia - in NJ.

Getting it out of my cellar might be a trick though. <g> Although, that being said; if anyone can get it out of there - it's me. <g>

I would sell it for materials cost.

poodleheadmikey @ yahoo.com (just take out the two spaces <g>)
------------------------------------

sebring said:
I will buy the one you have that puts off too much heat. Would you be willing to trade for an old pressure tank.

Something like that but taller - about five feet tall. But with a better loading door. And with a grate and an ash door under the loading door. And now with air intake centered in the bottom. And my insert-flue pipe idea in the top.

But vertically the same. <g>

PHM
-------

with
Pete1983 said:
Hot water heater wood stove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc6gNSkLsJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is that what you are thinking about making?
Pete

raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Interesting! Did you sit on a milk crate while loading it? Starting to see a pattern here!

Ray

I would have Ray except they were top loaders and they were quite tall too. Hum. Maybe I could have tried a bar stool but then, we didn't have one then.

Backwoods Savage said:
raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Ray

I would have Ray except they were top loaders and they were quite tall too. Hum. Maybe I could have tried a bar stool but then, we didn't have one then.

LOL you always have comeback! But aside from that yes they were top loaders.. Not sure I would like a top loading stove as it seems easier to get burnt loading it..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.