any problems with bypass damper on on avalon and lopi inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vicker

Nov 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
im thinking of getting a avalon or lopi wood insert as i like the bypass damper option. but has ever anyone had any problems with their bypass damper. like it not sealing properly or the firebricks cracking on it or anything else?
thnx

I've only seen one problem with an Avalon, on which the fork for the bypass damper came out of the damper door and it was stuck closed. I found the issue during a sweep and was able to correct it. Beyond that they seem to be OK. I like both brands.

My bypass damper is as smooth as silk going on year two. I have never heard of a problem with this and I would not want a stove without a bypass damper for many reasons.

I have a Lopi Freedom insert and agree with the other Lopi owner. This is my second year and so far so good. The damper really helps prevent smoke from entering the room when loading (I know because I have forgot to close it a time or two and learned the hard way) also it's great to see the secondary burn kick-in once you get things going good.

My bypass is smooth. My air control...not so much. It's not the air control knob either, it's the whole in the faceplate created for the knob that causes friction.

We open the bypass damper just before opening the door, works great for drawing all smoke and most sparks straight out the top at the back of stove. Also a big advantage at start up. I seldom need to open the door slightly for more air.

Good feature to have for sure. I always open mine when starting a fire to warm chimney

Second year with a lopi liberty and the bypass works just a smooth today as the day the stove was installed. As long as you have good seasoned wood you will not regret the purchase of a lopi product

Status
Not open for further replies.