Any problems with home owners insurance.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did talk with my insurance agent. Asked him about either gas logs or a wood stove insert for my existing fireplace. He said gas logs must be installed by a certified installer, both items needed to be done with building permit. He told me to let him know what I got so they could add it to the policy, especially if the wood stove was several thousand. He said there would not be an increase in the policy since I already have two fireplaces. Know I just need to decide between a Woodstock or Hearthstone stove.

My ins. co. said it did not matter because there was an exisiting fireplace. He said there were no differances between a woodstove and fireplace, they are both listed as "open flame burners" I guess some companies are always up for making an extra $.
Joe

marky_mark896 said:
I'm with Allstate, and I called my agent today because of this thread. He said I didn't have to do anything. He said since there was an existing fireplace, nothing changes according to Allstate.

I have Allstate in NJ and they told me they treat the wood stove as a space heater and I didn't have to do anything or fill out anything at all..

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.