Any read on batches from the Mills? or who had bad batches last year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
Beginning the hunt for pellets and want to make sure to not buy tons of a bad batch.

Any gossip?

I will start it off.About January of last year I was running low on my supply of Okies and started to look around for more.The hardware store a mile from my house had Cubex for sale and from what I read they were suppose to be an excellent pellet so I bought about 30 bags.What a mistake. I have to say they ended up one of the dirtiest,low heat and ashiest pellet I have ever burned in the 4 seasons I have had my Harman.To get rid of them I had to mix them 50/50 with the remaining okies I had.
I hear cubex has a new batch out there now but how does the consumer know If he Is getting the new batch or the old. I will never buy Cubex again. BOO BOO Bad Business.
Jim H
Plaistow N.H.

I started with Cubex in 2011 when my stove was installed (2 tons) and then started experimenting. Cubex says 9000 btus, but I know I never got that out of them. The softwoods perform so much better for me. The cubex were ashy and would build bricks on the lip of my Harman.

I believe the 9000 number comes from the corrected zero moisture from the TP test. Actual number was closer to 8500@ 5% MC IIRC.

We probably won't get any gossip until we start to burn.

I started with Cubex in 2011 when my stove was installed (2 tons) and then started experimenting. Cubex says 9000 btus, but I know I never got that out of them. The softwoods perform so much better for me. The cubex were ashy and would build bricks on the lip of my Harman.

X2 Same experience with me but I heard of a Enviro owner with good results, go figure!

Listin to this............Last night I burned my first bag of Inferno's, I could not believe how HOT they burned!!,It was a chilly 80f in my living room, I woke up and it read 118f!! And there was like a shot glass worth of ash in my burnpot..they are the best pellet i ever burned!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.