Any reason not to seal this up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwright

Oct 6, 2011
Little Rock, AR
So there's a gap in my ceiling box where the stove pipe fits and the box itself. I can see a bit of a gap there withe the pipe fitted and I can also feel a bit of a draft there (I'm assuming it's going to the attic since the pipe should be rather tight).

Any reason not to put some high temp silicone on there to seal up the crack? Taking the pipe out for cleaning or other reason notwithstanding....

I won't be messing with any venting or cooling function of the pipe, will I? Yes, it is double-walled pipe. Simpson if I recall.....

Attachments

• Pipe.jpg
    Pipe.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 526
Guess not. @100 views and no comments - I guess this falls under "if ya have to ask......"

I honestly have no idea. Personally if it is letting cold air in from the attic I would consider using some rockwool but thats just me.

Shawn

Sure you can fill the gap, but I am not sure that I would use silicon. I think I would try to neatly stuff a bit of rock wool in the gap, as said above. If it is in a spot where looks are important, maybe consider stove cement as it would match the color a bit better.

I'd get some thin diameter rope gasket ans fill the gap with it up in the attic side. The I would use high temp silicone on the under side.
If that silicone burns off you have bigger problems than the silicone.

I'm still trying to figure out what I am looking at. Sorry if I seem obtuse, but is this on the Tribute? What brand support box is this?

Hogwildz said:
I'd get some thin diameter rope gasket ans fill the gap with it up in the attic side. The I would use high temp silicone on the under side.
If that silicone burns off you have bigger problems than the silicone.
I think I would do the same Great Idea Hogwildz. That way you would have room for {expansion and contraction}, and still seal the crack. I would not use silicone at all Jay

I cannot take the credit for the rope gasket idea. Brother Bart gave me that idea to seal the gap between my liner and the block off plate. Worked like a champ!

I used high temp silicone to seal my adapter on the stove. Works great but a pain to get off when cleaning the stove. The gap looks to big for this application. I would go with the rope gasket to seal it and maybe a nice smooth coat of silicone. Your dealer should have a couple of sizes of gasket to choose from. Make sure its snug. If you do it neatly you might want to do just that and not the silicone.

Has this gap always been there? It looks like ameri-vent to me. That being said, they use a stove pipe adapter that drops into the box from above, and on the older ones, the flue just kinda sits over it. This adapter can get dislodged, make sure everything is lined up properly and making a good connection. They have recently made a new adapter that is much more secure. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.