Any recommendations for Dealers in Detroit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeWizMan

Nov 29, 2006
Suburbs west of Detroit
I am taking the suggestion of someone on this forum and asking if anyone here knows of a good dealer of wood inserts in the Detroit area of Michigan. More specifically, the western suburbs of the Detroit area. There is a bunch of them around but I have only dealt with one that I am not too happy with. So, any recommendations? Thanks.

gwm

We're up in Oxford Township and bought a Lopi Revere insert from Solley's in Ortonville last November. They did the installation and we also had them out to sweep the ss liner before this season started. My brother also bought an insert from them and has had great service too. It may be a bit of a drive for you, I think you will be happy.

Don't discount Windsor Ontario! I bought my insert in Windsor for a few reasons and a few added benefits I did not realize:

The brand of insert I purchased did not have a dealer within reason for me. I went with this brand (and insert) because it fit my fireplace perfetly. I located dealers of my insert from the companies website and the closest one was in Ohio (good 2 hour drive for me), and I did not get the warm fuzzies from him when I spoke to him on the phone.

For giggles, I checked the other dealer listings (from my manufacturer's website) for Canada and found one in Windsor. Gave them a call, nice people, very helpfull, VERY knowlegeable, and followed up just like they said they would every time!

Turns out I had a few added bonuses: The Canadian dollar price was the same as the US dollar price I got from the other dealer, THEN I figured in the exchange rate and saved even more! Yes, I had to pay two Canadian taxes, a provincial sales tax (PST) and a government sales tax (GST). One of those (I think it was GST), I got back immediatly on my way home at the duty free shop. I just showed my receipt and they gave me cash for that tax. They then gave me a form to fill out and had to send it in to get back the other tax (PST). That took about 6 weeks to show up, but it did. Saved me a bundle! Yes, I know I have to declare it on my income tax forms this year, but I am still way ahead of the game. It was like getting my liner for free!

Plus the dealertreated me well, loaded my pick up for me, gave me a few freebie accessories, and answered allot of questions. I even got the insert in way ahead of schedule. I was told 6 to 8 weeks (something like that) and got it in less than 3 weeks.

I live near Brighton, and the drive was exactly 65 minutes from my front door to the store. That included time going over the border (the bridge). It was a saturday around 1100 if I remember correctly. No waiting at the bridge in either direction. The dealer was located accross town from the bridge so that ate up most of my time. Otherwise it was all highway. Send me a pm if your interested in the dealers name and number.

Otherwise, there is a really good guy in Toledo. I can't remember his name (but can get it if interested), he stocked a bunch of different brands, prices were the best I found, and was a mom and pop buisiness. Not the most fancy store in town, but, he knew the business. I was all set to go with him untill I discovered a critical measurement error on my part, and the the unit I was going to purchase would not fit. He had no problem crediting my deposit in full. I do go to him for supplies and other non woodburning related items when I am in the area. A straight shooter. I felt bad I could not purchase from him.

Well, hope this helps. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.