Any reports on Woodstock stainless cat/frame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonna

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2008
mn
Just curious if anyone has tried the new stainless cat and stainless frame combo that is out on the market now?

I would love to order one, but cannot justify the cost when I replaced my cat last winter. My guess is that with the stainless frame the expansion and contraction rate is keeping a tighter combustor fit.

I've been wondering the same. Looks like a much better design. I've also been tempted to buy one for a spare but have a new ceramic cat that's working fine.

I've installed it 2 weeks ago on Keystone. So far its been working good no complains. Gets red quick, last night did see something unusual buffer plate got red right under cat. But that could be because I was trying Eco bricks from Tracktor Supply.

I've installed it 2 weeks ago on Keystone. So far its been working good no complains. Gets red quick, last night did see something unusual buffer plate got red right under cat. But that could be because I was trying Eco bricks from Tracktor Supply.
Did you bolt the new cat in or is it heavy enough to just lay in there like the old cast frame? I heard WS recommends using the shipping bolts for the new steel cat.

Todd, it is super lightweight so I'd really hesitate to just sit it in without bolting it down. If I think of it I'll do some weighting to compare but for now it is enough to say it is really light.

I heard that you have to put the shipping bolts in too. I have always used the bolts to hold the cat down on my stove. I think you get a better seal with a slight bit of tension. Just takes another second to remove the bolts.

New cat.JPG

2 lb, 6 oz.

I cannot tell if it is because of the camera angle or lens, but that frame looks semi distorted? Probably not a big deal. I can tell one thing, that cat sure looks tighter in the frame.

Thank you Backwoods for providing a picture!

It is the picture, not the frame.

Gotcha, have you noticed that the cat stays tighter in the SS frame? Are you running it in the new SS Scoop as well?

All these questions I have!

NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.