any risk of breaking hearth tiles when setting down wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777funk

Sep 12, 2014
MO
I just finished tiling my hearth and was curious if there are any precautions when setting down the heavy wood stove on the tile?

I can picture setting all 4 corners of the base down evenly could be tricky and a corner with 600 lbs could cause some damage to the tile.

Any tips on setting it in place?

If there are no airgaps under the tiles, there is very little chance of breaking them - if you set the stove down gently.
I know from experience that setting a 400 - 700 lbs wood burner down "gently" is not easy, but it can be done
I always set each leg on a small piece of cardboard so that I can slide it without damaging the floor, until it's in position.
Then the FINAL lifting and setting down is only the fraction of an inch needed to remove the cardboard.

There is always a risk allot depends on what the substrate is

As mentioned . . . the key is making sure what is underneath the tile is rock solid with little to no flex . . . well that and not dropping the stove while it's three feet off the floor.

Incidentally, when moving my woodstove I have cut small scraps of rug and lifted up while my wife put them under the legs . . . it helped the stove "glide" into place . . . and then I lift up and she removes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.