Any risk using an independant installer instead of dealer installer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
I can get my hands on an insert right now (Jotul C550 insert). The problem is the store told me the install will not happen until the first week of December.

Are there any support issues that the dealer will not help me on if I don't use their installer?

So close I can feel it :)

My wallet was bulging quite a bit more than it would have been had I used the dealer as the installer, but that's about the only drawback. I had my chimney sweep install the stove (I did check to be sure he was certified, insured, and experienced -- 30+ years and installed countless stoves). He even saved me money by letting me know what the best stove choice would be (instead of being oversold a stove I didn't need and that would not put out the best heat). I would highly recommend asking your chimney sweep (or a reputable one in your area) for pricing on installs, you may find a much better deal.

I bought the C550 earlier this year and also found a better deal through a Sweep than through the Dealer. I have only had my break-in fires so no real burning experience yet. The Dealer I used hires subs to do the work, which was more money and they were using a lesser quality liner. So I went with my own Sweep and was very happy. The Sweep warranted the liner also.

Get some customer references and assurance of this professional's previous work. Make sure that he is also responsible for any insert damage, as the dealer is out of the loop.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your feedback. I just learned of a local sweep from a friend I we had dinner with over the weekend.

This sweep cleaned the White House chimneys back in Aug. If he's qualified to sweep the White House, he's qualified in my book. I'm waiting for a call back from him at this point.

I don't know, so I'm just speculating here...but I can imagine that at least some dealers don't have installers on the payroll, just a "go to" list of people they contract to do the installations. That means you'll likely pay the dealer something on the order of 15% more than you might if you found your own installer. Like I emphasized, I don't know this to be the case, just wondering. Rick

fossil said:
I don't know, so I'm just speculating here...but I can imagine that at least some dealers don't have installers on the payroll, just a "go to" list of people they contract to do the installations. That means you'll likely pay the dealer something on the order of 15% more than you might if you found your own installer. Like I emphasized, I don't know this to be the case, just wondering. Rick

That is indeed the case around here. That`s why I just had my local sweep install mine. I mean, it could have been him anyway under contract to the dealer. Anyway, for a hundred bucks I`m happy. The OP should be aware though that when you buy cash and carry as I did. Don`t expect any dealer support.

Just so I understand… when you say "Don't expect any dealer support", does this mean questions/answers or warranty issues?

If the sweep warrants the install and liner, what other reason would I need to contact the dealer for other than defective parts?

Thanks,
Steve

stejus said:
Just so I understand… when you say "Don't expect any dealer support", does this mean questions/answers or warranty issues?

If the sweep warrants the install and liner, what other reason would I need to contact the dealer for other than defective parts?

Thanks,
Steve

To clarify: I purchased my kodiak from a dealer 60 klicks from my residence, instead of the dealer only 15 klicks away. Reason-$400 difference in price for same product. I already had the liner, so am speaking of insert only. Yes, I can get parts from my local dealer, but am thinking any labour costs that "might" be incured would come out of my pocket. Enviro who makes the kodiak is a reputable company so any actual defects they would cover. (lifetime warranty)

As far as your insert goes, well, it isn`t like a pellet stove, really there isn`t much you can`t do yourself, replace the baffle, even burn tubes, when they eventually need replacing. The blower might be a little more problematic, but even that I`m sure I could replace myself if I had to. If you have questions, I don`t know? Depends on the individual dealer?

I know that I ain`t sweating going out of town to buy mine and having my sweep do the install, and I don`t think you should either.

We're doing the same thing... Bought a Napoleon and full-liner from a dealer on the 'Net. Having a local experienced Sweep install it. The only reason we're doing this is price. We're going to be saving anywhere from 800-1000.00 depending on whose original quote I use. (We're hoping to have the install completed within the next few weeks.)

That's a lot of money to us. If it means having to pay a service call from the Sweep to have a replacement part installed, I figure we'll still be money ahead.

I also agree that replacement parts could probably be installed by us. We just didn't want to mess up the original install and burn our house down.

I had 2 Jotul Combies: a # 1 and a # 4. I bought both of these used. I did install these both myself. The door did crack on the #4 about 4-1/2 years into the 5 year warranty and Jotul did replace it free of charge with a new door. I did have to go through the local jotul dealer and needed the serial #...That was it . Easy. Perhaps their policy has changed since then, but this is just my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.