Any savings in spinning your own chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyatt

Dec 2, 2005
Whatcom County, WA
I was kicking around the idea of buying a 100' reel of chain and breaking it up myself. I figure I could get in the neighborhood of 22 (20") chains, but I've never done it before. Is there a loss of quality by doing it yourself and does anyone know how much the Stihl NG7 rivet spinner/chain breaker costs? 22 chains would last a long time, but it might just make me so lazy that I throw away dull chains knowing that I have so many more, which would end up costing more in the long run. Any thoughts?

I usually buy loops of chain assembled for about $11, so there's not much incentive to make my own. But there's nothing wrong with doing it and it's kind of fun..

Where do you get chains for 11?

Small store, mail order, big box store?

Just curious.

Joshua

That's about what they cost at most chain saw dealers in the Northeast and New England. I buy mine at trade shows in the summer from saw dealers who exhibit, where they tend to be a bit cheaper than retail. But not by much. You're not getting any bargains if you buy chainsaws and accessories at the big box stores.

Where is a good site to find out about saw/logging trade shows?

We used to have card units on our knitting machines at the plat that had two sets of chains on them, making chains is fun

EDIT
plat, its plant!

Hit my finger putting up woodwork this weekend and it makes typing tough :shut:

Here you go, babalu.

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=62333&x=7

I think you're out West, but if you're anywhere near New England in mid May, then I would recommend the Essex Jct., Vermont show. The trade association I work for puts that show on. I'll hook you up with some cheap chain and just about anything else you need wood-wise.

Thanks Eric
Considering I live in SE Massachusetts I think I can make that one

Maybe I can talk the wife into letting me make it part of my Spring Turkey hunt too ;)

Well, I look forward to seeing you there. I'm the asst. show manager, but you'll probably find me on one of the forklifts.

Here's a link to some cheap chain. I know it says they only sell to arborists, but these prices are what I'm talking about. Obviously, you need to know what you want.

http://www.esscodist.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page45.html

You can register for the Essex Jct. show for free online at:

http://nefpexpo.com

Hi Erik,

What are you doing talking about my favorite toy store on earth????????????????

This is one of the local logging stores that all the pros go to. They have everything you could wish for. I go there all the time, and buy all my supplies there. Jeff is the best!!!

Carpniels

PS. I agree with Erik, I am going to wait until the next woodmans field days and get everything at a discount there (Cash only though!!!!)

Sorry but VT is too far out of the way for me. Would love to go but I hate the price of gas now!!

Hitting one's finger with a hammers is like watching the Patriots fumble the ball
It hurts and causes you to use crude language

Status
Not open for further replies.