Any suggestion how to mount mantel shield inside fireplace opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Since I think we are going to use our insert without the surround, I can't just put the mantel shield behind the surround, so I need to mount it to the inside of the fireplace opening, which is a foot above the stove. However it's got a metal lintel (very thick steel or iron) on the bottom side of the brick, and the back side of the lintel doesn't seem to have anything to clamp onto with C-clamps or anything. I guess I could drill brackets into the brick along the sides to hold it up? Any other suggestions that would not require drilling into the masonry much?

One suggestion is to drill up from the bottom through the lintel. You can screw from the underside. Another would be to use Tapcon masonry screws in the mortar joints. I have done both.

cycloxer said:
One suggestion is to drill up from the bottom through the lintel. You can screw from the underside. Another would be to use Tapcon masonry screws in the mortar joints. I have done both.

If the underside were brick, that is what I would do, but it's like 1/3" thick metal across the whole bottom surface.

There is a really easy to install mantle shield available that can attach to the wood mantle with wood screws. Have you checked into those?

Franks, I am getting one of those (though I probably won't use it because my dealer provided me with something better for my needs) but I don't have that type of mantel, in fact the mantel is outside the proper clearance, the shield will actually be for the wood trim or apron that comes down about a foot below the mantel. It only sticks out 1.5" but it will require the shield to be mounted below it somewhere and angling up at a 45 degree angle or so. The shield my dealer gave me is a pc of sheet metal with curved corners, and about a 45 degree angle or so, and it's maybe 4 inches on one side and maybe 10 inches on the other. Will get it cut down to fit inside fireplace opening but need to figure out whether I want the short or long side out/up and also how to get it in there without drilling the thick metal.

I have the same issue, using an insert w/o a surround, and would like a 'deflector' in the top of the fp opening rather than anything higher up.

Other than drilling and tapping thick steel (which I've done enough to try to avoid here), I was thinking non-magnetic ss or alum sheet (probably painted) for the shield, and then a few honking magnets from a science surplus place to hold the sucker on. Advantage--I can pull it off in the summer or whenever the stove is not in use. Disadvantage--it could fall off at high temps (I don't think this is likely, however).

woodgeek said:
I have the same issue, using an insert w/o a surround, and would like a 'deflector' in the top of the fp opening rather than anything higher up.

Other than drilling and tapping thick steel (which I've done enough to try to avoid here), I was thinking non-magnetic ss or alum sheet (probably painted) for the shield, and then a few honking magnets from a science surplus place to hold the sucker on. Advantage--I can pull it off in the summer or whenever the stove is not in use. Disadvantage--it could fall off at high temps (I don't think this is likely, however).

MAGNETS!!!! What an AWESOME Idea! I am totally going to give that one a try! And since what I have already (the shield) IS magnetic, I imagine I could put the magnets sandwiched in between, so they are holding it from above? If they are strong enough, it shouldn't move.

I guess I also have the option of cutting the shield down small and drilling it into the wood trim with the ceramic spacer screws but I was concerned that either the shield would end up so small as to be silly or if it were large that there wouldn't be enough wood thickness to anchor the weight cantilevered out from it. I will definitely try the magnets when I can find some!

let me know how the magnets work.

Status
Not open for further replies.