Any suggestions for fitting a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsimms89

Dec 19, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hey I just recently purchased my house and am looking to install a new wood stove in my den. The house is a 2,400 sq ft 2 story colonial and the den is just off the side of the main section of house. The room is roughly 18x15 and in the corner that i wished to install the stove it has the kitchen on the other side of one wall with 59 inches from the corner of the room to the doorway into the kitchen, the other wall is actually a sliding glass door to go outside. The non moving section of the door is in the corner and when the door is fully open it is 39 inches from the corner of the room to the opening of the doorway. I was hoping to install a stove caddy cornered so that the glass is visible both how I have the room set up now and in the future when I renovate the room some and the furniture is moved to the other wall. ( I'll attach pictures and a floorplan withing a few days).

I was hoping to install an Alderlea T6 since I have heard nothing but good things about it, and it could heat my whole house yet be turned down to not overwhelm the room and it has the heating trays on the top. The problems I am running into is the area taken for the hearth pad, on chinmeysweeponline it says that the length of the sides of the pad must be 56" (https://chimneysweeponline.com/cpacaldert6.htm). This would put it well into the doorway to go out onto my deck. So now I am wondering what stove and pad would I be able to fit into this 59 inch by 39 inch corner.

Additionally I was thinking that the only way I could run the chimney would be to have it go up a few feet, a 90 degree turn out the wall over the non moving part of the sliding glass door, then another 90 and run it up the side of the house. How would this work for the draft by not having it straight up and having it outside. I cannot really runs a pipe straight up as the entire second floor is finished and it is actually a bathroom over the den so it wouldn't be be easy to without a lot of work.

Unless anyone has any suggestions idk what I could change other than to reframe the sliding glass door and more it over about 2 feet so that there aren't clearance issues and sheet rock the old area it used to be, but that's more work than I wanted to do. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. As I said Ill try to add pictures in a couple days in case anything I said was confusing.

I would study the situation better and with an open mind. We ended up completely reversing the living room layout to come up with our corner configuration. If the den is 18x 15 it is probably larger than the bathroom. Consider a corner where it is not directly above. Or if it is a really huge bathroom maybe take up a corner of it for a chase? The stove pipe in the chase will keep the bathroom cozy. An exterior chimney is possible, but they are not as clean operating, cost more and do reduce draft.

Most importantly, how open is the den to the rest of the house? If one doorway, how wide? If this is a standard 30" or 36" door then the stove is going to be more of an area heater than a house heater. The den would need to be very hot in order to heat the house. In that case you may be much better off centrally locating the stove in a more open area of the house like the living room. Post some pics and floorplan sketches and note on them your top 3 location options.

And welcome. You are doing the right thing by talking out the options first. Talk is cheap.

I'm going to have to think about the chimney some more, but as far as the connection of the den to the rest of the house, yes currently there is only the one 36" doorway into the kitchen, so if I installed the stove now it would be more of an area heater, but I spend pretty much all my time in the den and kitchen anyway and the other rooms aren't used too much (it's just me in the house right now, probably my girlfriend eventually). Additionally in the future renovation I was talking about I was going to open up a wall to make the whole floorplan much more open, right now if you go through the doorway into the kitchen the dining room is on your left (ie if you're in the den looking at the wall I want to put the stove on behind the left half of that wall is the dining room), and what I want to do eventually is put up a beam and open up the wall between the dining room and den and put a half height wall with a countertop. The kitchen and den are a step above the den so I and I will put a half height wall with a countertop so there could be some stools placed there that would look into the den. again this will all be cleared up when I post a floorplan. So right now I have my couch facing the wall that has the dining room on the other side and my TV on that wall and i wanted to put the stove on that corner (it'd be on the right if you're looking at that wall), when I open up the wall I would flip the room around so the couch sits under that countertop/half height wall and the doorway and stove would then be to the left of the couch(the stove wouldn't move). This would also allow the stove to heat the rest of the house more. I'm probably not going to get to it until Monday but I will take pictures this weekend and draw up a floorplan on autocad on monday (I'm a structural engineer/rigger/steel erector btw).
Still my main issue is finding a way to fit the stove and hearth pad into that 59"x39" corner, unless I do go the route of moving over the door to the deck which would significantly increase the amount of time until I actually installed the stove as I dont want to start doing that kind of work just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.