Any suggestions on "less expensive" wood stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
My father is in the market for a wood stove.
He already has a pellet stove in the basement and one in the shop.
He is wanting one for the top floor living area, and i was dumb enough to tell
him i would cut and split the wood if he got a wood burner instead of another pellet stove.
He is looking for a less expensive stove. We were looking online at the Northern Hydraulics website
and a few others. Any suggestions or recommendations on a lower end wood stove?
Thanks alot for any help!

Brad

Brad, I can't make a recommendation for your father's stove. But I gots to say...I think it's wicked cool that you live on top of the CD. Wicked cool.

Tudor (From the flatlands of Northeast Ohio.)

The Drolet, Englander, Napoleon and the EPA certified Vogelzang stoves will heat the house without breaking the bank.

Tudorman, its cool alright. About -9 as we speak.
But i love it! I grew up in Wyoming and have lived in other places.
When i had my son i wanted to move back here. The camping, fishing and hunting are unbeatable.

Thanks for the reply BroBart, he was interested in the Zogelzang but i have heard mixed reviews on these.
I am sure any of these would do fine. The pellet stove in the basement heats the whole house. But the living room
and kitchen area are a bit cooler. I think it would only be a supplement stove for when its really cold.

Edit: i couldn't help but add a few pictures, i have thousands of them of Wyoming

Thanks, Brad

Attachments

• 8-5-08 058r.jpg
    8-5-08 058r.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 6044257-md.jpg
    6044257-md.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 7-8-07 037r.jpg
    7-8-07 037r.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • goo012306 085r.jpg
    goo012306 085r.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,000
The operative phrase there about the Vogelzangs is "EPA Certified". Vogelzang makes some low-end really inexpensive stoves that are probably best avoided. Fairly recently, however, they've introduced 3 or 4 models that are UL tested & listed and EPA Certified clean burners. They might be worth a look, along with the others mentioned. Rick

Thanks Rick!
He was set on another pellet stove, but after i offered to supply the firewood.
He really likes the sound of a wood burner. :smirk:
I store all of my rounds and do my splitting at his place anyways, and usually use his chainsaw
and trailer to get my wood. So i dont mind getting a few extra cords for the old man.
I like the look of the Englanders and Drolet quite a bit.

Thanks
Brad

This is our first night with our Amercian made Englander 13 (rated for 1500 sf). Paid $650 at local hardware store. Lowes wants $800 and Home Depot $1,100 (shipped) for same stove. Still recoverying from sticker shock for the chimney though - but State of Montana is giving $1,000 tax credit per year up to 4 years for entire EPA stove system. It will basically be free in two years. It's 6 degrees at 4700 feet but were warm and comfy.....

WOW BFunk I had no idea of your suroundings. It looks like the Yukon of the south. Awsome. I too moved back to the mountains
when I discovered we where going to have chilins.
N of 60

Thanks MontanaBob.
Sounds like a good deal to me. Especially the tax credit part.
I will look into that stove.

Brad

Yeah, North, no place better to raise kids in my opinion.
I would love to make it up to your side of the world some day.
I know its beautiful up there.

If interested, a photo site of mine.
http://photo.net/photos/bfunk13

Brad

Oh my Brad........Now you have me wanting to move to Wyoming! What a beautiful place to live! Your portfolio of photo's is awesome too.
I would have a hay day taking photos there too! I love graphics and Wyoming appears to be a photographers paradise.
:)

MontanaBob said:
This is our first night with our Amercian made Englander 13 (rated for 1500 sf). Paid $650 at local hardware store. Lowes wants $800 and Home Depot $1,100 (shipped) for same stove. Still recoverying from sticker shock for the chimney though - but State of Montana is giving $1,000 tax credit per year up to 4 years for entire EPA stove system. It will basically be free in two years. It's 6 degrees at 4700 feet but were warm and comfy.....

North American made, no?

Bfunk.........You won't go wrong with the Century brands carried at Menard's. The parent company may be in chapter 11, but I have an '01 model and I can still get parts (I know since I broke the glass last year)...there's a couple different models for wood, and they just flat out work. Price range is about $ 500-800 or so...........nice pics..............Paul

Bigg_Redd said:
MontanaBob said:

North American made, no?

The Englander stoves are made in the USA

bfunk13 said:
If interested, a photo site of mine.

Ahh Vedauwoo! It has been many years, but that used to be a mandatory one week climbing stop on my way east or west. Hec of a neat place to climb or hike.

We couldn't be happier with our englander 13. the list price is 799, but keep in mind
that if it's the last floor model, they will take 10% off. which is what happened to me
got the stove for $719.
If your getting -9 temps you may a the bigger model though?

$1600 bucks, stove, blower, pipe and installation here. 4 days and nights and the
electric thermostat has not kicked on in a 1600 sq. ft. house.

Thanks alot everyone!
Kinda turned into two different posts, sorry bout that.
I will definitely check out your suggestions. I didnt know about the Century brand.
I told my dad i know where to go to find about these stoves.
This place is great.

It hit -20 here last night.
I woke up to 65 in me casa. :coolsmile:

bfunk13 said:
Tudorman, its cool alright. About -9 as we speak.
But i love it! I grew up in Wyoming and have lived in other places.
When i had my son i wanted to move back here. The camping, fishing and hunting are unbeatable.

Thanks for the reply BroBart, he was interested in the Zogelzang but i have heard mixed reviews on these.
I am sure any of these would do fine. The pellet stove in the basement heats the whole house. But the living room
and kitchen area are a bit cooler. I think it would only be a supplement stove for when its really cold.

Edit: i couldn't help but add a few pictures, i have thousands of them of Wyoming

Thanks, Brad

omg brad, i just looked at your pictures and started looking to book a trip out there!!! beautiful stuff , guess i wont behitting the beach this summer!

If it were me, I would avoid the Vogelzang brand at all costs. I would never buy anything they make if I can help it. Why? I want them out of business! Call me kooky, but I think it's a crime that they are allowed to put out such dangerous products labeled as wood stoves. From their 55 gallon conversion kit that I wouldn't trust in a gravel pit to that little boxwood that you see in every hardware store. People buy these things and actually try to install them. We get so used to being nannied that we think that they must be safe or they wouldn't be allowed to sell, right? WRONG. Same thing with their EPA exempt stoves that look somewhat like a certified stove. Tricks people into buying one for $50 less than a real stove. They even have 6" flues now to confuse you. So... I just do my American part and don't buy their brand and let everyone know who is trying to buy a piece of junk at Lowes or TSC how much happier they will be with a slightly higher priced epa certified stove from drolet or englander or Century, or better yet, used from a bigger name. I'd check Craigslist for something, we've got them all the time down here for right around 500 or so.

drdoct said:
If it were me, I would avoid the Vogelzang brand at all costs. I would never buy anything they make if I can help it. Why? I want them out of business! Call me kooky, but I think it's a crime that they are allowed to put out such dangerous products labeled as wood stoves. From their 55 gallon conversion kit that I wouldn't trust in a gravel pit to that little boxwood that you see in every hardware store. People buy these things and actually try to install them. We get so used to being nannied that we think that they must be safe or they wouldn't be allowed to sell, right? WRONG. Same thing with their EPA exempt stoves that look somewhat like a certified stove. Tricks people into buying one for $50 less than a real stove. They even have 6" flues now to confuse you.

I'm no fan of Vogelzang, but I'm a huge fan of accurate information. This post is somewhat misleading. In all of Vogelzang's website, I can't find anything deceptive about how they present their products. To the company's credit, they now offer four models of EPA-Certified woodstoves. Yes, they are Certified. They're also approved for sale & installation in the state of Washington, which has some of the strictest requirements in the nation. These stoves could not be advertised as such unless they had passed through all the same testing and certification hoops that any other stove must pass through to earn the title. I'm not rushing out to buy one, but I applaud Vogelzang for taking steps to be competitive in the "modern" stove market, and to offer a clean-burning alternative to those on a tight budget. Perhaps it's an indication that they're trying to clean up their act, so to speak. I wish them every success in this endeavor, and I'm looking forward to reading about some folks real-life experience with these certified Vogelzangs. Rick

http://www.vogelzang.com/EPA-certified-woodstoves.htm

crazy_dan said:
Bigg_Redd said:
MontanaBob said:

North American made, no?

The Englander stoves are made in the USA

I was looking at some Englanders a few weeks ago and I swear the badges said "Made in Canadia"

Status
Not open for further replies.