any suggestions on T5 first burn for complete novice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lantland

Oct 7, 2008
Garrison, NY
So i bought my T5 built the hearth and had the stove installed. Now i'm looking at it my small fire and I'm wondering if there is anything I should follow or any general advice for my first burns and keeping a good fire going.
I'm trying to figure out if moving the air control to the left OR right opens it. I can't seem to see which way is which.

So I'm sure I will be back on with a hundred other questions over the next few days but until then THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE....................

On my summit facing the unit. sliding the lever to the left opens the air up to right closes it down. not sure if it is the same, but would think so as they are made by PE

Congratulations lantland. Moving the air control to the left opens it. Do a couple smaller fires with just kindling and a couple 2" thick sticks. Let it go out and cool down in between. Then you can take it up to temperature. If you don't have a thermometer, get one. It will help you learn how the stove is burning much more quickly than without one. The thermometer can go directly on the stove surface, below the trivet, slightly in front and to the side of the flue collar. I have mine so that I can see it between the slots in the trivet top. I usually see 550 deg temps on the stovetop with a decent fire, but it's still too warm to open this stove up.

crazy_dan said:
On my summit facing the unit. sliding the lever to the right opens the air up to left closes it down. not sure if it is the same, but would think so as they are made by PE

Hmm, on my T6 the air control goes to the left to open and right to close....

BeGreen said:
crazy_dan said:
On my summit facing the unit. sliding the lever to the right opens the air up to left closes it down. not sure if it is the same, but would think so as they are made by PE

Hmm, on my T6 the air control goes to the left to open and right to close....

yea I fixed it I'm still learning my left from right. it is the same on mine.
Sorry thought it was opposite day?

LOL :lol: Yes, maybe it is. Or if it's opposite day, maybe it isn't? 8-/

forget left and right.. The handle side is open away from handle is closed, of course that is with the door closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.