Any taxidermists here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
I use this forum pretty much every day and find the folks here to be amazing!

With that being said. I have made lamps, chandeliers and the like with antlers for years and have decided to branch out and start learning taxidermy.

I have friend that went to taxidermy school but can’t find time to do taxidermy work with his main business. He is going to teach me all that he can.

I am hoping to find someone that does taxidermy for a living outside of our area that would be willing to answer questions and give advice when needed.

I know there is a big difference between someone that went to school and someone that does it for a living which is why I would love to find someone with lots of experience.

I am in North Idaho and would like to find someone that is not in my area. I don’t think it’s fair to learn from someone that I might be competing with someday.

I am aware of the taxidermy forum. While it’s great for research purposes I find it lacking in people that are willing to give information.

Thank you

Funny, despite all the things I've seen discussed here I don't recall taxidermy ever coming up.
Good luck.

Funny, despite all the things I've seen discussed here I don't recall taxidermy ever coming up.
Good luck.

Lol. I figured it was worth a shot! So many good people here I thought I would give it a try.

I've done birds, but never fur bearers. Last i knew, one of them was on display at SUNY Cobleskill. I've thought of trying them, never got around to it. Depending on how long the fur was, I'd be afraid my skills wouldn't hide the stitches. But the posture of the animal can hide a lot.

I've always wanted to hide a squirrel in the Christmas tree. I've always wanted to make muskrat hand puppets too. So many things on the to do list! Lol.

It's easy enough to practice. Watch how the fur trappers skin animals. That'll give you the fewest stitches. Make sure you clean the animal really well. Borax will be your friend.

I've done birds, but never fur bearers. Last i knew, one of them was on display at SUNY Cobleskill. I've thought of trying them, never got around to it. Depending on how long the fur was, I'd be afraid my skills wouldn't hide the stitches. But the posture of the animal can hide a lot.

I've always wanted to hide a squirrel in the Christmas tree. I've always wanted to make muskrat hand puppets too. So many things on the to do list! Lol.

It's easy enough to practice. Watch how the fur trappers skin animals. That'll give you the fewest stitches. Make sure you clean the animal really well. Borax will be your friend.

I’ve never been interested in birds....while they are alive....but once they are dead and mounted there are some beautiful specimens! Lol.

Birds are on my short list to learn. Also reproduction fish with having to airbrush and use different painting techniques I think will be really cool. Like some of the huge colorful salt water fish!

I have a feeling that shoulder mount deer and elk are really going to be easy compared to the rest!