1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Any thoughts on franchise or business opportunities?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by timss13, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timss13

timss13 Member

Loc:
    Peterborough, NH
    Hey all,

Since it seems like we are all a bunch of intelligent individuals, I figured I'd solicite any suggestions or input regarding purchasing a franchise or business. I am thinking long term, within the next 2-3 years of venturing out on my own. Are their any members here with experience or expertise? I am not talking restaurants, health clubs, etc., but rather a business that might be covered here such as green, renewable, energy related businesses or franchises.

As for me, I am a salesman and am very successful at it. I have ranked in the top 5% of my salesforce for a Fortune 1000 company for 5 years running. I enjoy it but feel the need for a new challenge down the road, preferably one that involves more ownership and independence to make the right decisions for my company.

Any feedback or thougts are appreciated. The good, the bad and the ugly...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Pellet stove service and repair.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Is your goal to make a lot of money at this, or to get by? What other skills do you have, besides sales?
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Amway?

Biomass

Cogeneration

Complete kit for grid tied wind generator. Mass produced and sold by dealers. DIY stuff.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Work with Boone Pickens. Hell he is selling wind. Still.

Or John McCain. He could use a good sales force right about now.
  6. timss13

timss13 Member

Loc:
    Peterborough, NH
    Other skills- strong business acumen, tireless worker who does not jump right into things without listening and learning. Idealist but pragmatic. I'd like to something which serves the common good but also provides for an excellent income. I actually have been thinking about bulk pellet delivery and pellet storage systems as part of the equation. Unfortunately, I am not the guy who can fix things with tools but rather the guy who can find the resources and create the solution from idea inception to end game.
  7. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Consulting to teach your skills to business owners. Sell a program to retail sales stores on how to train people. Create a new brainstorming session and teach businesses how to get the most out of people. If all else fails just create the illusion of one of these :p and sell it to businesses. Perception is reality, at least until the check is cashed!
  8. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I mean skill, rather than quality. Drive a truck? Plant a garden? Layout an electrical board? Small engine repair?
  9. jbroich

jbroich New Member

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I would say that more and more urban dwellers and suburbanites will be driven to abandon natural gas heat as fossil fuel prices inevitably trend higher. They'll make a rational economic choice to seek out alternatives. How can you seize that opportunity? Provide extremely efficient wood inserts? Develop a system by which wood and other plant fiber waste in a city or region is converted into something like Bio-Brix (not hauled over the road long distances which would defeat the purpose)? Citydwellers could use tidy, high-btu fuel for their insert/stove/appliances.
  10. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

"I’d like to something which serves the common good but also provides for an excellent income. " Sounds like you need to start a Hearth website ; ) It worked for Craig and Elk (or did it?)!
  11. vgrund

vgrund Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Amherst, NH
    Definitely, since you are in New England, open a Dunkin Donuts franchise. I believe there is a 500 ft section of road in my town that is underserved by Dunkin Donuts. LOL.
  12. SNAPMAN61

SNAPMAN61 Member

Loc:
    LITCHFIELD,ME.
    It sounds like you have time to research and create a business on your own.As a former franchisee for a tool and equipment giant, I can tell you that when its good,it's good, but when things don't go corporates' way, they will play hard ball with you because of the agreement you signed .Keep this in mind as you do your research..........
  13. Willman

Willman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sabattus Maine
    Dagget is that you ?
    Will
  14. krazyguy

krazyguy New Member

Loc:
    green lands
    impressed.

<a href="http://www.bizoppjunction.com">
    Business Opportunities</a>
  15. firewarrior820

firewarrior820 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    auburn maine
    Use other peoples money & think of doing something that no one else around is doing. Thick skin and a positive attitude and a good plan always produces positive results.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.