Any thoughts on "The Pickens Plan"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't fault Pickens for having his self interest in mind too. But I agree with Karl, good plan Karl, that we need to go beyond the portion Pickens proposes. And Web, your point is excellent, it's just that electricity has limitations in portability that gas overcomes..like running my chain saw for instance. The Volt is cool but we really need that big battery breakthrough to fully realize electric's potential.

Karl, absolutely agree with the tax credit thing for homeowners. It would be a great economic stimulus and save as incredible amounts of energy going forward. Pisses me off that what energy subsidies we had for the homeowner have just been allowed to expire and nothing else has been done. We need to speak loudly to our elected officials on this matter.

Long term maybe a Maglev infrastructure makes the most sense since there is still an abundance of iron on the earth. Electric is probably a number 2 choice but it needs some more tweaking for sustainability. Cobalt and lithium (the current technology used for battery storage) are not necessarily common elements unless a different technology like the air car for instance, is perfected.

T Boone's plan is fine for a stopgap measure but it really does not solve the problem for a couple decades at most.

There certainly needs to be an alternate source of energy for fossil fuels. However all of this search and rescue stuff for off shore drilling and re-opening old venues will fail to help make the smallest dent in what we are currently importing.

The quickest most efficent way to offset the current situation is to conserve. It doesn't cost anything, it's good for the environment and it's easy.

I am saddened that no politician or private agency has really tried to make an effort to help educate folks on conservation.

This is probably a pipe dream since we are a nation of slackers, but it really does work.

J.P.

SmokinJoe said:
The quickest most efficent way to offset the current situation is to conserve. It doesn't cost anything, it's good for the environment and it's easy.

I am saddened that no politician or private agency has really tried to make an effort to help educate folks on conservation.

This is probably a pipe dream since we are a nation of slackers, but it really does work.

True dat. I've been driving 60 miles on the highway for a couple months and I've really improved the mileage of my Honda Element. Imagine if most people drove slower on the highway. It'll never happen but the decrease in overall fuel consumption would be immediate and amazing.

But you're right that no politician would ever say such a thing. Even when gas was nearing $4.00, it was all "drill, baby drill!"

Status
Not open for further replies.