Any tips for making my Century fw240007 burn longer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

br1ross

Sep 17, 2010
East TN
We got it put in and I really love it! Makes the place so warm. The only problem is it seems like 4 hours is all I can get out of a burn. Any of you guys have any tips on this stove?

Burn times are a function of how much fuel there is to burn. Given the small firebox on the little stove that is about right for burn time.

Once you have the firebox established good and hot, perhaps you can cut back on your air-controls a little further than you have been? I'm not sure how youve been running your stove, so this is a bit of a blanket statement. It also helps to get longer burns if youre using seasoned hardwoods, and a bit thicker splits for overnight burns.

As BB says, there isn't much you can do for burn time, but there are ways to get more heat out of it. You should be able to get more than 4 hours out of it though. I'd light mine before bed and almost or sometimes have enough coals in the morning to relight without any source of fire. Six hour burns were not unusual. What kind of wood are you burning?

Do a search for "stove tweaks". In it I tell how I added brick and kaowool so the smoke must travel over the secondaries and be burnt... more heat out of the same package. Have you added a blower onto the back? It makes quite a difference.

It will take a while to learn it... it's a great little stove.

Matt

put a stove pipe thermometer on top of your stove and tell us what your running your stove at. as said in the above post depending on what temp your running your stove at, maybe back it down 50 or 100 degrees and you might get a extra hour out of it.

I did see your post about leaving extra ash around the ash door brick to seal it and I have been doing that since after the first fire. I will try the koawool or mineral wool trick next. Frank, I need to get a thermometer asap and will let you know.

Brenda

fbelec said:
put a stove pipe thermometer on top of your stove and tell us what your running your stove at. as said in the above post depending on what temp your running your stove at, maybe back it down 50 or 100 degrees and you might get a extra hour out of it.

Good point... I never ran it over 550 or so. It was in a smallish room.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.