Any Tips for Running Aladdin Oil Lamps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I just got an Aladdin oil lamp. Read directions, it seems to work fine.
Are there any tips from users?
I'm thinking maybe a dipstick for fuel level, since the font that I have is aluminum, but the fuel is so clear, it's hard to see.

We keep ours stored and fueled for emergency use. It provides temporary lighting during power outages of short duration, and then lighting between times of running the generator to maintain the fridge, freezer, and the well pump to fill the pressure tank.

We use these lamps. They put out an amazing amount of light when working right.

We keep the wicks as low as possible when not in use to keep the oil from evaporating and the wick from hardening.

Always keep a spare wick on hand. Crank it up every once in a while to make sure it works. Last time we needed ours we found the wick hardened and stuck in the wick holder. I had to work on it a while to get a new wick installed.

I'm wondering now if we should remove the oil when the lamp is not used to keep this from happening.

We've had one for 25 years. But I have to admit with the advent of LED lanterns, the Aladdin has seen little use for the past few years. Wick hardening is a common problem because of infrequent use. Now, for work light we have a Coleman white gas and a Coleman propane lantern. They provide brighter light and are a whole lot less fussy.

We also use these emergency candles in rooms like bathrooms. The work great and last a very long time.
http://tinyurl.com/3w3w3wx

Another trick we've used during long outages is to bring in our solar powered, LED walkway lights at night. They provide hours of light and charge up during the day. I place them strategically so that it is easy to get around safely in the dark house.

I've found that you CANNOT let any part of the fuel-rich flame hit the mantle, because in short order the mantle will become clogged with soot, and the room will be coated with same. This seems to be more of a problem with burners made from brass sheet-metal; they seem to more unstable than the chrome-plated ones.

You really need to be present when one is running at high-power. Regularly trimming wick helps prevent these problems, by knocking down high spots in the flame.

These lamps are really good spot-heaters, absent rug-rats to knock them over. If you take an old damaged mantle, knock all the silk/ceria stuff off the holder, and put the holder back on the burner, you'll have a very reliable 3500 BTU/h heater. Just not much light. They also work very nicely as heaters at lower output levels.

Checking fuel level is (obviously) much easier with one of the glass fonts. I've run one of these continuously for a week, adding a pint or so of kerosene a couple of times per day through fill-port on font. Lamp running at med-low output.

They earn their keep when the woodstove is being run med-low to heat one area of the house and you want to take a shower in another. Couple of lamps there for a half-hour, and it's toasty.

Thanks for the tips. I bought an extra mantle, figuring that'd be the first to go-I never thought the wick would be a concern.
I'll remember to trim the wick as well.
It does seem to put out a lot of heat.
I had the flame up too high momentarily when I was experimenting, and, just like the directions said, turning down the wick cleared up the soot on the mantle (it was just a little though).

I'm kinda sorry I didn't get one with a glass font.

It's nice and quiet and safer than a Coleman gasoline lamp, which the mfr. says not to use indoors.

velvetfoot said:
It's nice and quiet and safer than a Coleman gasoline lamp, which the mfr. says not to use indoors.

They are great, definitely keep a spare mantle, and as to safety, it's relative- still treat them with extreme caution- they do give off combustion byproducts that are unhealthy in confined areas, and it's one careless bump or drop to the floor from potentially being a Molotov Cocktail (only slightly less flamboyant due to the less volatile fuel).

Thanks. I've been regretting not getting one with a glass font so I can see how much fuel is in it, but the aluminum one won't break I guess. Is the glass thin?

No, it's pretty thick. Not unbreakable, but sturdy.

velvetfoot said:
Thanks for the tips. I bought an extra mantle, figuring that'd be the first to go-I never thought the wick would be a concern.
I'll remember to trim the wick as well.
It does seem to put out a lot of heat.
I had the flame up too high momentarily when I was experimenting, and, just like the directions said, turning down the wick cleared up the soot on the mantle (it was just a little though).

I'm kinda sorry I didn't get one with a glass font.

The main issue is that given the long idle periods, the wick hardens. It is critical to keep it even. Get the little tool for this. If the wick burn unevenly, you will start out with the mantle glowing nicely, but as the lamp heats up, the high spot in the wick will translate into a soot spot on the mantle.

Status
Not open for further replies.